I got an ghost ooth!!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dtejeda.arias

Reaction score
I am still a newbie to the mantid world, so please bare with me. As I was doing my regular misting and feeding I found what I believe looks like an ooth on the stick my mantid is always on. My following questions are very straight forward and I'm aiming for success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do I remove the stick? (I'm assuming yes)

2. What is an ideal enclosure/habitat for it?

3. How often should it be sprayed, or what's ideal humidity?

4. Does it need light?

5. Does it need heat?

Thank you for your time

Danny Tejeda

I've got to ask, is there a chance that your female was mated? If not, don't waste your time with it,it's infertile.

If it may be fertile, Remove the stick and put it in a separate deli cup with a moist towel in the bottom. It'll need the same conditions as the mantis needed. Light doesn't matter.

Good luck

Yeah, if its infertile than just leave it...

but if it is fertile. ..

1. Remove the stick and trim the ends of the stick so you are only left with ooth on stick (help keep it smaller and easier to handle)

2. A 32oz deli with fabric lid would be suitable...add some raffia or excelsior to it (add only a little, but spread it out so it fills most of the cup)

3. Give the cup and excelsior/raffia a good spray every other day...(a good way to also get it right is give it a good spray and see how long it takes for the droplets to completly dry up give it a day with dry cup, then spray the following day and repeat until it hatches) (every other day usually works best)

4. It doesn't need to sit in the sun or anything like that, but keeping it with/near your mantids is a good place bc it will receive the same amount of light as the mother...

5. Keep it at the same temp as the mother is being kept and it should be fine... but room temp is good (mid 70's to low 80's)...at night the temp can drop to high (6 0's - low 70's) !!! But it doesn't need this night time drop, letting it experience the same temps as the mother is just fine)... (this is a personal preferance)...

All the best,

Andrew

Hey Danny, just saw your post. Already answered your email. The above advise is excellent as always. Great group of helping folks here.......... :clap:

Latest posts