I got lucky with a mismolt!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugloverjo

Reaction score
I've heard horror stories about mismolts, but I'd been lucky enough to not experience them with my first few mantids. However, I was up late studying the other night and just happened to peek into my Carolina mantis's enclosure and see her right in the middle of mismolting. Even though she had plenty of space, she'd decided to try and molt from the side of her enclosure, and had somehow wedged herself in between a plant and her enclosure wall so that her legs were all bent in a useless position. I had no idea what to do, but knew she hadn't been molting long, so I decided to take a chance and managed to save her by very gently removing her shed and repositioning her so that she was hanging upside down from a paper towel. Thank goodness I caught her early enough before she hardened, because the next morning, she was as good as new! This was her final molt, so I'm glad I was able to correct it; I feel super lucky that I caught her in the act and was able to intervene! 

Latest posts