i had some probelms making cultures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently, I noticed that some of my melanogaster cultures had a lot of non-hatches because it was too humid inside. I got that taken care of and had better results.
Well all three batches were failures. None of the pupae ever hatched. Wierd thing about the flies too. Everywhere in the culture where one of the parent flies died a big spot of brownish green mold appeared. The flies (bought from a secondary supplier since Rebecca was all out) seemed to come with their own mold spores. Though I doubt it had anything to do with the failure its curious that the parents were contaminated like that. The large jar had yellow hydei from Rebecca in it and were kept in identical conditions and they all hatched and are now in a new culture along with 4 other batches I made today from a culture of black hydei and one of melanogasters that I just recieved from Rebecca.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 cultures I got last week don't seem to be doing too well, all the adults are dead but plenty of maggots. There's also a load of little white bug things in there. What are these?

I transfered the cultures to a pint beaker yesterday and some flies hatched out so maybe things are looking up <_<

The 2 cultures I got last week don't seem to be doing too well, all the adults are dead but plenty of maggots. There's also a load of little white bug things in there. What are these?I transfered the cultures to a pint beaker yesterday and some flies hatched out so maybe things are looking up <_<
Sounds like you got mites. I would throw them out immediately, before your house gets overrun by them. There really isnt any saving a culture once mites invade.

HELP!!! my cultutres are so packed with frute flys i have to many flys.. :lol: my culures rock..i got to show u this one i made..the amount of maggots and casters is crazy..its the most iv ever had..potoaote poweder,yeaste and water is what i use and the culture have 1000s and 1000s of flys using a 32oz deli cup and starting with about 60 - 80 flys.i love the start the cultures with a nice aload of flys..room temps 78F

and i dont get any mold. ;)

Sounds like you got mites. I would throw them out immediately, before your house gets overrun by them. There really isnt any saving a culture once mites invade.
every culture has some mites.if its over run with them tho i would bin it..my cultures always have a few mites.When i started making my own cultures the place i got them from"naming no names" allready had mites in them..so every culture i have has mites but theres only a few.by the time it gets over run the cultures ran out..get this then..i fill up a 32 0Z deli cupe 1/4 of the way full with medium.in 2 weeks the maggots have eating 3/4 of it.dam them things can eat when theres loads of them..im amazed at my cultures now.i have a big bag of masa but i havent needed to use it yet.potatoe mash does me fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Mites, nice :angry:

Just ordered another starter culture from another source along with more curly wings and small crickets. Give 'em a varied diet at least :p

Latest posts