I have a new buddy!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
My daughter found an egg the other day. We put it in a potted plant on our porch and it hatched yesterday. :D The hatchling accepted a roach and a couple of mealworms from me already. This morning it is still there and now licking a piece of mushy banana that I offered it. If I put my hand out it has jumped on to me twice already. I hope it makes it through the winter even though it is an invasive species. I read that they can live around 16 years in the right conditions. All of the lizards I see here are invasive. I have had another outdoor lizard buddy, she was an injured Anolis sagrei that I tossed food at sometimes, she stuck around for a while and even reproduced on my porch. She would hitch a ride on my pants when I was spraying the porch with the hose. She would also jump on my hand but only for food. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! :D I have decided to use a net enclosure outdoors that is part shade and part sun throughout the day. I kept worrying about a bird getting it. When it gets big enough to avoid birds then it will be free. I pretty much want to get it through the winter. Unfortunately, on the way home from the store a few minutes ago, I found an injured adult. He was in the road and moving in an abnormal fashion. When I stopped and got out of the car I saw that he had a huge dragonfly in front of him. I took him and his prey home to rest on my porch or die. I saw that he has blood in his mouth. He is strong and can climb and hold on to the trunk of the plant in a normal position. He can also open and close his mouth. I am hoping that it is a minor injury, but it looks bad because he was probably struck by a car. :( :angry: He doesn't appear to be injured in any other place but his mouth. The mouth looks normal to me, except for the blood. That armored head is pretty tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
The injured anole has lived so far and actually has started eating for me. :blink: Unfortunately he is now blind. :( I am surprised that he eats and drinks for me. When I have caught adults as a child and tried to keep them as pets, they refused food and I let them go after a couple of days. This one stays on my porch probably because he can't see where to go. The hatchling is pretty cool to watch, he made a threat display at me today when I first took him out for some free time. :lol: He eats and drinks well, and licks my fingers before I even get the food out. :) These lizards have the softest skin I have ever felt. It reminds me of that white tape that is used for plumbing. :huh:

The injured adult anole is doing better than ever. His eyes are healed and no longer crusty. :) After cleaning his eyes up a few times with a moist swab, (the lizard seems to enjoy rubbung his bad eye up against the swab) the lizard can see from his left eye. He starts licking his chops when I approach him, and is a glutton for roaches. He also seems to enjoy getting rubbed and scratched on the more injured side of his head and lips, he will lean into the scratching. :lol:

Latest posts