I HAVE BABY D. LOBATA MANTISES

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PragmaticHominid

Reaction score
OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS.

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO BREED THESE FOR LIKE 2 YEARS.

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN FAILURE.

IT HAS BEEN FAILURE AFTER DISAPPOINTMENT AFTER SCAM AFTER FAILURE.

AND THEN I DIDN’T THINK THIS OOTH WAS GOING TO HATCH, BECAUSE IT WAS DAMAGED.

AND THEN MY CATS KNOCKED OVER MY FEMALE'S CAGE AND ATE HER AND I CRIED.

AND I WAS GOING TO GIVE UP.

I WAS NOT GOING TO WASTE ANY MORE MONEY OR TIME ON THIS SPECIES.

BUT NOW I HAVE NYPHS.

30 AT LEAST, MAYBE MORE. MAYBE MORE ARE COMING.

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

That's crazy about your cat. I know some of my bigger mantids would give a cat a run for it's money!

That's great that you were still able to get another generation.

Ive had my lobatas since they were L1 and now all my males are adult and my females are sub and presub. i feel like im going to have some trouble pairing and breeding but i

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS.

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO BREED THESE FOR LIKE 2 YEARS.

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN FAILURE.

IT HAS BEEN FAILURE AFTER DISAPPOINTMENT AFTER SCAM AFTER FAILURE.

AND THEN I DIDN’T THINK THIS OOTH WAS GOING TO HATCH, BECAUSE IT WAS DAMAGED.

AND THEN MY CATS KNOCKED OVER MY FEMALE'S CAGE AND ATE HER AND I CRIED.

AND I WAS GOING TO GIVE UP.

I WAS NOT GOING TO WASTE ANY MORE MONEY OR TIME ON THIS SPECIES.

BUT NOW I HAVE NYPHS.

30 AT LEAST, MAYBE MORE. MAYBE MORE ARE COMING.

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.
want to give it my best. and bredding tips youd like to share?

Ax -

Try to find someone with older females or younger males to begin with (if you still have healthy females when my boys hit adulthood I will do a trade with you).

Beyond that, line a net cube with paper towels and then coconut fiber or something else that holds moisture really well. Put some dead leaves on the floor of the cuibe as well. Get some branches with the leaves still on them.

Try to have females that have been adults for at least two months and males that have been adults for at least two weeks (though the males don't last more than two months tops, and sometimes it's more like a month, so if you have to make do I guess it's better to try to breed them... IDK).

Cram the female full of crickets for a few days. She can eat quite a lot. Put her, like 10 flies (replaced when eaten) and the male in the net cube.

Mist the ever loving heck out of the cube and put it under a heat lamp.

Hope for the best and keep the female full (though that doesn't always stop her from eating the male).

It might be days until they actually mate, if they do at all.

51 total, btw.

If anyone has younger or older lobata nymphs that they want to trade to make breeding easier please send me a message.

Congrats! These are by far one of the hardest species i have ever bred, You should be very proud of yourself. Hats off to you. My only female has just laid an ooth. I don't know if it's even fertile, but my males did live with her a few weeks before she ate both of them. The ooth does look decent. These guys live for a long time. If my female is still alive in the next few months? I will PM you for a male. Once again great job! :)

Latest posts