I lost my one and only praying mantis yesterday :(

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidLover21

Reaction score
It started with an ootheca purchesed at our local gardening store. A few weeks later, out came 150+ tiny praying mantids. We let most of them go, keeping but two (the second one died when she was very young). I raised my praying mantid normally; it turned out to be a male. I quickly found out he was a chinese mantid, and I creativally named him 'Manty'. He came on vacation with us (and stayed in the hotel!) went camping with us (mmm...delecious forest bugs) and I kept good care of him. When he was L3, he became ready to molt to L4. That's when the problem started...he had a mismolt, and I had to help him out of his skin. He back two legs were twisted and deformed after that molt. I was told they would heal but...several more molts came and went and he didn't :(

Manty got along pretty well with his deformation. I fed him all wild caught food- grasshoppers, flies and lacewings mainly. He molted again and got his wingbuds. He then molted to his adult form....

Every time he molted, he would fall. It was because of his legs, of course. And so when he molted to his adult form, his wings dried crumpled. A few days later I noticed one of his claws grew black and hard and he could no longer use it.

He wasn't eating; his abdomen looked almost flat. He would simply lie in his cage. Yesterday I picked him up and held him for a good hour, stroking his wings. I knew it was time. I didn't want him to just waste away in his cage, unhappy. I knew he would prefer a quick way out.

I can't beleive how attached you can get to a bug :( :( :( R.I.P Manty. I plan to get a few more mantids in the fall, though I will never forget my first mantis.

:( :( :(

well I dont get attached to bugs that much knowing they got a short life span compared to higher animals like dogs but thats just most people I think!

well I dont get attached to bugs that much knowing they got a short life span compared to higher animals like dogs but thats just most people I think!
I get attached to bugs if they live for a long time with me.

He probably asked Chrisp if he should get attached to any bugs, and Chrisp told him no. :p (just kidding, so don't leave any burning bags of :poop: on my door step)

I for one grow to like all my older mantis, nothing wrong with becoming attached to something even as simple as a mantis. sorry for your loss.

I certainly understand the attachment. I am also very new to this. I spend a lot of time just observing behavior, or staring at a cute face through a magnifying lens. For some of us... a mantid is a pet! And when a pet dies, it is a loss.

MantidLover21, you took great care of Manty, and got him to adulthood! That is amazing, considering the damage from a mis-molt long ago. Such care indeed to feed him all wild caught insects! I am glad that you had such a good experience with your first mantid, and I wish you comfort in the days following the loss. Sounds like you made a wise and difficult decision.

Really sorry to hear that,losing my first one is what made me get into buying and raising mantids all together. Some people relate them as just being bugs but if you spend actual time with them you will find each have their own quirks and personalities. I totally take mine on vacas ect. as well lol was thinking I was the only crazy lady dragging around her mantis children,this is the first year I've kept more than one or two at a time,and still have that special extra fondness for certain ones,because of how they act in relationship with me. Hope you grow to love another one equally as much *hugs*

aw! I feel for you! I know just how it is. I would of had to hand feed it, so hard to let go. if you have a pet, I don't care what it is, a pet is a pet, part of the family and that makes it hurt when they go! now, get you another one!

Sorry to hear you lost him :( I have less success with Chinese than any of the other species I keep, including idolomantis. They're just difficult, and very prone to mismolt. We kept eight out of the ooths that our girl Murph hatched (she was a garden bug too) and as of yesterday we were down to one.... so we took him out last night and let him enjoy some flight time and night bugs, and set him free. I think I will probably enjoy this species outside, mostly, although if we find another one before frost this year I will bring her in. And I enjoy encountering them in my garden a BUNCH. :)

I recommend going with something nice and hardy next go-around... Sphodromantis, budwing, or if you like the little ones creobroter or miomantis.

I find that the species I have the least number of are the ones I am fondest of... so I'm sure when you lose your only one, it's pretty hard.

You fought the good the fight....

If it's silly to get attached to a stupid bug...then call me silly. :) I think most of us have been there before, I have hand fed a dozen or snapping crickets in half and squeezing out the goo to feed them. This is my 3rd season and I have had a dozen or so females which all had names. My kids let them sit on the arms while doing their homework and I have watched many a football game with them sitting on me. Males...well the get names like Breeder 1, 2, 3.....sounds sexist but outside of breeding I could careless about the males. I breed them and release them.

Sorry to hear about your mantis. My first was a chinese and when I found it on my screen door it was injured. I brought her in an took care of her. I grow attached to all of my mantids and was sad to see her go. I had two idolos mismolt and it was hard to put them down, but they were beyond repair and they would have suffered more if I let them live. I tried the hand feeding and my mantis died anyway. I wish I put it out of its misery sooner. Just keep in mind that mismolts happen sometimes due to no fault of our own. Just roll your sleeves up and move forward.

If it's silly to get attached to a stupid bug...then call me silly. :) I think most of us have been there before, I have hand fed a dozen or snapping crickets in half and squeezing out the goo to feed them. This is my 3rd season and I have had a dozen or so females which all had names. My kids let them sit on the arms while doing their homework and I have watched many a football game with them sitting on me. Males...well the get names like Breeder 1, 2, 3.....sounds sexist but outside of breeding I could careless about the males. I breed them and release them.
I sort of wish I could avoid getting attached to the males.... it happens though.

I have to admit I get attached to the older ones as well...Its not like I cry or bury them in the back yard like a beloved pet. More like loss over the time and effort raising from Nymph to adult.

(and often not even to adult)

I miss my Sp.Lineola

and my Violin Died molting to adult just the other day...She was so cool to let out and hold...got attached to her as well.

Sorry to hear you lost him :( I have less success with Chinese than any of the other species I keep, including idolomantis. They're just difficult, and very prone to mismolt. We kept eight out of the ooths that our girl Murph hatched (she was a garden bug too) and as of yesterday we were down to one.... so we took him out last night and let him enjoy some flight time and night bugs, and set him free. I think I will probably enjoy this species outside, mostly, although if we find another one before frost this year I will bring her in. And I enjoy encountering them in my garden a BUNCH. :)

I recommend going with something nice and hardy next go-around... Sphodromantis, budwing, or if you like the little ones creobroter or miomantis.

I find that the species I have the least number of are the ones I am fondest of... so I'm sure when you lose your only one, it's pretty hard.
Thank you everybody for understanding- I think it's probably partiuculary hard to let go of your first mantis.

I agree, I think next time I may try something different than a chinese. I'm thinking maybe a ghost, giant sheild, or a european. I hope I have better luck with them :)

I had to put down my little chinese from a bad molt today too :( . I didn't know that chinese have some difficulty molting. I have to agree with everyone else on here, the fact that you could raise him to adulthood really shows the incredible amount of care you provided it to get to that point.

Latest posts