I made a mantis themed Christmas card

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrenna

Reaction score
So I've used my mantis Betty as a subject matter in learning and playing with macro photography.

For Christmas, I decided to use her as a theme in a custom card. I've never done a custom card before but what the heck, right?

So my boyfriend and I sat down and spent over 2 hours taking a macro photograph and turning it into this card. He provided the technical design and I had the ideas. It evolved from a simple "add a Santa hat while she's sitting on her lid" to a multiple layer photographic effort with a theme, funny saying and an implied story.

Friends, family and strangers have all loved it. Thought I would share this image that someone took of their card.

Hope you enjoy it.

1512683_784220064938196_1887566782_n.jpg

"After having caught what she thought was a flying reindeer, Betty lies in wait for Santa."

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it! I was thinking about getting a program for my computer to do a similar card. Getting my mantids to pose is the hard part. I sell things I make online and I want to change my business name.

I used the free photo editing software GIMP (not that user friendly but doable) and then took the image and used Shutterfly to provide the red frame when they printed the cards.

She was a bit blurry in her hind quarters so I used the Christmas tree to deal with that. Plus it was cuter.

Very cute and clever.

Your card makes me wonder if we'll get any new members this year from ooths hatching in their Christmas trees. I think there have been at least three or four members who joined after finding an ooth or mantids in their tree. I wonder if any of those people are still around.

Latest posts