I think my mantis is dying

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydiante

Reaction score
I've got a 4th instar indian flower mantis that isn't moving but is still alive. She was hanging out near the bottom of her cup last night and now she isn't moving at all and is crumpled up athe bottom.

i tried to get her to eat honey but nothing is working. I dont know what to do.

i have no idea what i did wrong and i'm absoultely heartbroken.

i think she's dead now. I'm so freaked out. I feel horrible and i don't even know what i did.

she seemed so healthy and was doing just fine until tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear about this. It comes on fast and it's never easy. The best you can do is give her safe keeping and love her even when she's gone. I know I felt the same way about one of my Carolina mantids. It came to me as a nymph and it was successful through every molt it had. Then on the final molt it got it's leg caught on some tape that I had used to secure the top of atrium. Oh my god I couldn't figure out why the little guy sat there all the time and then it tore its own leg off to get free. I noticed it and there was a drop of green blood on the tip. It died shortly after and let me tell you I felt like the biggest piece of ---- ever. I loved that little thing so much and I still think about it (this was about 4, 5 years ago). It's never easy. I loved him and still do. I wish you all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear about this. It comes on fast and it's never easy. The best you can do is give her safe keeping and love her even when she's gone. I know I felt the same way about one of my Carolina mantids. It came to me as a nymph and it was successful through every molt it had. Then on the final molt it got it's leg caught on some tape that I had used to secure the top of atrium. Oh my god I couldn't figure out why the little guy sat there all the time and then it tore its own leg off to get free. I noticed it and there was a drop of green blood on the tip. It died shortly after and let me tell you I felt like the biggest piece of ---- ever. I loved that little thing so much and I still think about it (this was about 4, 5 years ago). It's never easy. I loved him and still do. I wish you all the best.
Thanks for the kind words, I'm sorry to hear about the Carolina :(