I went foraging for the first time...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmina

Reaction score
in my life.. It was educational, & quite physical.. (Let's just say, I'm over 50) I took a quick trial run...

(guess I should have googled it first)

Brought my dog on her chain, ipod for walking music, branch nippers in my back pocket, along with some plastic bags, a 14 inch butterfly net, and a 5 gallon bucket to carry my "finds" in...

I walked about a mile an a half...

Returned with my dog, and told the kids where to go get my stuff..

needless to say...

I need more input...LOL

Questions:

Do you forage?

what do you bring?

any stories to share?

thanks for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Go into the forests during the daytime. Go to lights during the night time (such as gas stations). What are you looking for?

Foraging for what? Are you foraging for food or out looking for bugs?

i forage in my back yard. i have few acres. i set up lights at night with a white sheet. you will be suprised at the insects u never seen before. amazing.

I guess foraging means different things to different people.

LOL.. not food for me, I love the nice clean grocery stores... haha

I was looking for Sticks, branches, ferns, bugs.. I found a couple empty cocoons.. oh and an empty insect exo-skin.. (not sure if that is what it is called)

I was looking a lot closer at the forest, it was fun.. but I was very unorganized..

maybe foraging is the wrong word..?

So I am trying to figure out a better set up... wish I could have a couple more hands, and a younger body.. but that is out of the question..

I figured on my bucket I need one of those pocket thingys.. need to leave the dog at the cottage, take her for a walk later.. :clown:

Thanks for reading and helping guys..

any other suggestions would be great...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes all you need to do is find a nice place to sit and wait for things to come to you. A clearing with wildflowers or a spot by some slow-moving water or a drying stream would be good places to stop by if you're looking for flying insects.

Many insects have preferred habitats and even insects that seem to travel non-stop will frequent a specific area.

For ground-dwelling insects, you can move around to find a shady spots where the ground is still moist and flip over some fallen logs or stones--just be sure to be careful if you're living in an area with venomous animals and invertebrates like snakes and scorpions.

Take your time and you'll be surprised what kinds of animals and natural objects you can find.

It'll also help to have your hands free most of the time--instead of carrying a bucket, I suggest carrying a backpack. It'll help you by giving you more time to be prepared with your net as well as keeping your hands more free to catch yourself if you find yourself on unstable terrain. Remember to always pay attention to the area around you--don't let a flying insect lure you off a cliff or into a ditch! You may also want to take your kids with you or find a friend with similar interests--more eyes means fewer things will be missed. It'll also be much safer if anything unexpected happens.

Great...That sounds good..and maybe a little more relaxing...

Thanks...Now I am excited about labor day...LOL

Not that i wasn't in the first place.. but.. I won't have to be hoofing it for miles..

Thanks for sharing

when i go i bring a backpack. I put multiple containers in there. Mostly containers from food, that i washed up. I then put leaves in them so whatever i find doesnt go sliding around. Sometimes i use one container just for live food. I go along the outskirts of a field, also go around the track which has a bunch of bushes and trees and plants. Then i go in the woods to find other critters. All the mantids i find are always in the sun. I actually dont see them when the suns not out. Or in the shade.

My number one tip:

Leave the iPod home!

Why immerse yourself in nature and listen to man made racket, when natures sound track is so much better?

Instead, bring binoculars and/or a magnifying glass.

Happy foraging!

I agree with HungryGhost leave your ipad home. Without the unnecessary distraction not only your hearing but also other senses will sharpen up.

i live in michigan as well and when i go out looking for insects i usually bring a magnifying glass, three or four medium sized containers, two very small containers, maybe a small net, a notepad and pencil (to record my findings like an area abundant in mantids), and some band-aids in a bookbag this may seem like much but not really

I bring small deli cups for various small insects, a couple of larger deli cups for anything that's larger or if I'm going to be collecting substrate or plant material with an insect, my trusty aerial net, a small trowel, and a few glassine envelopes for containing any insects with delicate wings such as butterflies and dragonflies that may be beaten up if they're stored in a deli cup and attempt to escape.

I forgot to show what I found.. I have no idea what they are... but I thought I would share....

and this guy..

Anyone know what they are?

The first one is a gall that is probably from a wasp parasitizing the plant that came from and the second is the exoskeleton left behind by a cicada nymph molting into an adult.

LOL... So nothing real exciting.. (interesting) but I guess this was too easy.. gonna have to find something really puzzling ... oh well... bigger and better things next time..LOL

Latest posts