ID for mantis found in California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I found a mantis in a store today and decided to keep him. I've kept scorpions, but never a mantis so I'm very much a beginner. I mostly know what I've just googled.

I'm located in Santa Barbara. Is he most likely a stagmomantis californica? I've heard that stagmomantis limbata is found in the L.A. area; is that true of Santa Barbara as well?

He definitely looks like the mantises in the stagmomantis genus, but how do I differentiate between them? He has two black spots with white dots in the middle under his front legs. Do they all have that marking?

He's also green and has long wings which extend past his abdomen. He's about 3 inches long. I don't know if that helps at all...

Sorry if these are stupid questions! Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited by a moderator:
i think european mantids have the black/white spot you describe so it is probably a european male if the wings extend far back.
I looked at some photos, and that's definitely him! I guess those markings make it pretty easy. Thanks for answering my newbie questions. :)

If the spots are like this, it's a Mantis religiosa:

2651131212_8bf4ef44a4_b.jpg

i think european mantids have the black/white spot you describe so it is probably a european male if the wings extend far back.
It could be a female too. Remember both sexes have a full set of wings with this species. Not just the male.

Latest posts