ID Game - The Dragon's Third Eye

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
As our party rounded the final bend in the serpentine labyrinth - which had begun beneath Magi K'graznt's now smoldering castle keep, then steadily ascending toward the peak of Mount Decouste - we were met with a fierce gale of scolding wind. Peering over the lip of my shield, through watering eyes I glimpsed the towering figure before me. Now the growing stench of sulfurous fumes we'd been contending with made perfect sense. We had feared a rift linking ours to a lower plane or the para-elemental plane of magma, but it was something much worse.

Rearing up to strike was an enraged Red Dragon! Before we could react it opened its mamoth jaws and emitted a deafening roar as it charged our party. In the blur of its approach I spotted upon its brow K'graznt's rune of the eye and knew it had been enhanced by his evil wizardry. Gads! A Red Dragon is deadly enough without thaumaturgic assistance! A spinning dodge and luck narrowly saved my sword arm, then the beast was up again, head pulled back with the tension of a bowman's string, and all the air rushed from the room into its lungs.

Panic overcame us as we feared the inferno to follow...

RedDragon_4753-sm.jpg

The game is to identify this species. Gripen is exempt, but everyone else can take a guess.

The prize is your choice of a swift kick to the groin or a poke in the ribs with a pointy stick. No substitutions!

Something I noticed only after taking this photo is the third eye symbol in the center of its head. Really weird! I swear that is 100% real. It's easier to see in this smaller version of the photo.

eeRedDragon_4753-sm.jpg

archimantis latisyla?
You got it.

The giveaway with this species is the smear of white along her back.

AlatistylaL5_9734-sm.jpg

For the record she is not as mean as she looks in this photo. Before molt they flex the mandibles which looks pretty terrifying. Had to catch a photo of it.

This is another pretty colorful species when seen up close. Here she is right after molt...

ArchimantislatistylaL9-f_4795-sm.jpg

ArchimantislatistylaL9-f_4810-sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love those last two photos. Great pose in the last photo.
Thanks. Flipped upside down, of course.

Just stop by for t he amazing pics..... not the prize :sweatdrop:
Thanks for these. They sure take their time maturing! I swear this female is now L9 and still not adult. Doesn't even look sub. Maybe the adult wings are just very stubby?

Yes. But i'm charitable, and have decided to not take from precarious :)
Your generosity has moved me. I will not only donate the prize to a charity of your choice, but also deliver to you both a swift kick and a sharp poke!

Pay it forward... :innocent:

Ill-Kick-You-Square-In-The-Nuts.jpg

Latest posts