ID help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what these white "globs" are? They are in an isopod enclosure. Mites? Google image search is having problems identifying them. I don't see any appendages, but they are mobile. 

rps20200414_162244.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see them crawling on some food flakes. Since I posted this I've seen scattered individuals throughout the terrarium, but I wouldn't call it a bad infestation... I'm hoping to prevent that. They apparently came out of hiding when I dropped in some carrot and food flakes. Someone suggested that they are predatory mites that some commercial growers use as pest control. I have no clue, but I did recently buy a new moss specimen. 😕

Could they be baby snails? I bred snails a long time ago, and they look somewhat like this.
I considered that at first thinking that some snails hitchhiked in, but they are not snails. I was able to examine one closely and they do have small appendages. They have mostly disappeared... either dead or in hiding. I noticed some would climb the glass, but as they get closer to the top where the humidity drops drastically they seem to stop moving and dry up. I'm hoping the isopods are eating them! 😁 

Latest posts