ID please! Caught from Covina, Southern California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat39

Reaction score
This mantis was given to me earlier today because they knew that I have a thing for mantids. Can someone please ID this for me? The back half of it's eyeball seems to have a little reddish color to it. The tips of it's front claws and also a little on it's back where the wings would be.. the rest of it's body seems to just be green. This particular guy is a male and it seems to really like running around as if it was on some kind of drugs. I see tiny wing buds so and I'm guessing it's within one or two molts away from adult. It's currently about one inch. Any help would be great! Thanks! =)

If you guys need more photos let me know and I'll take them.. this little guy runs around A LOT!

img3393b.jpg

By null at 2010-08-12

img3392c.jpg

Shot at 2010-08-12

Here's a bottom shot too.. more red markings that I missed when I first made this post:

img3405s.jpg

Shot at 2010-08-12

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks a lot like my Stagmomantis Carolina. I would say a stagmomantis of some variety. Those markings on the back and eyes are pretty awesome!

definitely a species of Stagmomantis. Either limbata, or californica? Please post a pic when she has turned adult. :)

The red around the wing bud areas indicate Limbata.

Caught many of those around Walnut where I live.
So Limbatas have that red around the wing bud area when they are young then? Ok. I made my educated guess based on the fact that the Californica adults have black around that wing area (referring to the instar: was thinking that the "red" would become darker as it molts).

The red around the wing bud areas indicate Limbata.

Caught many of those around Walnut where I live.
Any chance you could give me an idea of where I could go to find them? I wouldn't mind finding this guy some buddies in the future. I also have a girl friend who's out in that area. Thanks! =)

I have a bunch of wild caught limbata females.

They all seem to have a band in this area like you guys say.

They also have purple at the base of the legs but no brown on the eye like yours.

Let me know if you have an extra male or two. I love these mantises. I hope they are limbata I'd hate to pair them with something else. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
My limbatas are all brown except for some red in the arms. Also have some dark brown patterning on it's back and legs.

I wish there was some sure distinction between the two: california and limbata.
If you mean regarding the nymphs, I agree with you. I've been paying attention and it looks like the forum members (quite a few of them) who live in Southern California have been catching these interesting mantids. We just have to wait until their mantids become adults to determine what exact species they are. But as far as adults go, I think we've discussed this topic last year: californica have 2 black bands at the anterior end of their abdomen and their underwings are purple/black; limbatas lack the black abdominal banding and have yellow underwings.