Identity change (color changing ghost)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
My female ghost mantis named ButterRum molted about a week ago. She is a beautiful golden brown and just a gorgeous mantis. Since her molting, I put her on my palm tree plant that also has aloe and another plant (basically she's surrounded by green). The plant is next to the radiator which pumps out a good amount of heat and I mist the plant about three times a day.

Long story short, she completely turned green in a matter of two days. I don't know how green she will will get, but she is no longer brown. It almost looked like she was turning green a couple days ago, but I didn't think much of it until I looked at her today. I'm blown away. I know mantids can change color after molts, but I thought it had to be directly after(within a couple days).

Maybe she noticed that she was just surrounded by green and needed to blend in, maybe with her genes the adults turned green right before the final molt, maybe the conditions were just right. I am going to replicate the same exact thing with my other ghost Mocha and see if the same will happen and she is a deep brown ghost. I believe her and ButterRum came from the same ooth.

Just very cool! I hope she gets all the way to a bright green and Grace if you're reading this, she's the same color as Iris, maybe a little greener. Really cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, pics please! I'd love to see her new color. Iris was brown until L6 and she turned green, I was equally shocked.

In Keeping the Praying Mantis, Orin says of color and ghosts on pg 45:

"Green coloration in Phyllocrania Paradoxa is a sex linked genetic trait and environmental, since green male nymphs revert at the ultimate molt while females can stay green under specific conditions. The exact stimulus is often unknown because the change can be in response to more than one variable. Humidity and perch coloration are the most important, but then there are often multiple perches and major shifts in humidity under captive conditions."

I haven't noticed a green colored female change to a different color, but I have seen a brown female turn green. My perches don't vary, so I'd guess it's humidity as the main factor. 

Cool stuff, either way! 😊 ❤️ 

This is very interesting. I have so many Ghost nymphs at this point, I'll change one variable (perch) and keep everything else the same. I'll see if something happens.

This is very interesting. I have so many Ghost nymphs at this point, I'll change one variable (perch) and keep everything else the same. I'll see if something happens.
I've tried green perches for my Ghosts with no noticeable impact. I think the temp/humidity has to be in the correct range to perhaps 'trigger' the change in specimens with the correct genetic disposition for green coloration. 

I've tried green perches for my Ghosts with no noticeable impact. I think the temp/humidity has to be in the correct range to perhaps 'trigger' the change in specimens with the correct genetic disposition for green coloration. 
I may try two controlled groups but Orin's book states many variables. It is likely the case as nature is complicated.

I will try and send a picture of where she is and what she looks like soon! I didn't want to disturb her "turning green" moment so I haven't touched her in a couple days. And there are many factors. Off the top of my head I know her surrounding were green, she was near the radiator so heat, I was misting quite regularly, where she was, she would get direct sunlight for about 20 mins a day then the sun would move(or I guess we would, but you get it). That's already 4 variables and I don't know her genetics. It's pretty crazy!

69861F12-1342-43B7-B2A4-BECD0017DA24_zpsiinttz7j.jpeg

So if you look closely at the first image, you will see her. But this is where she was. As you can see, surrounded by green and next to the radiator. She gets the morning sun for about 20 minutes, heat and I mist her often.

F3A9B910-8B4E-4D78-B461-7EFA32F701B4_zpscsdfigcf.jpeg

Awesome! She is beautiful. I spotted her right away on that plant!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts