Idolo : is this fungus infection ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgok

Reaction score
Hallo, i got my pair of idolos last week from poland breeder and today i noticed black dots on one of my guys. I misted them only once, they dont have high humidity. Feeding them fruit fly's

is this that black fungus which kill em ? :-/ 

ty for your time

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not very familiar with that species but one way to help tell is to look and see if it has uniform markings on the other side of its body. Typically when a mantis has natural dark markings they will be mirrored on both sides of the body.

Ty for your time guys,

well on mirrored side he have also this dark spot, but much smaller ( arm and shield ). But my other guy dont have em thats why i am worried. Idolomantis Diabolica shouldn't have markings like this.

It did not grow any bigger over night. 

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I would keep this one in a simple quarantine setup and just see how things turn out. Wishing you luck! 

Hey there, 

A few of my Idolos had this strange black substance on their thorax/underarms as well. They all survived to the next molt and the substance came off with the exuvia. 

In fact, one of my females with this just molted this morning and I inspected the skin more carefully. I thought it might be a fungal infection or rotting of the exoskeleton, but the affected areas were not thinner nor weaker than unaffected areas. The substance was also exclusively external of the exoskeleton. 

I am not sure about your case, but when I first got my Idolos I noticed that keeping them in inadequate heat (<28C) for prolonged periods of time caused some to seize violently before vomiting black liquid. I think this was simply regurgitation because their bodies could not digest the food they had eaten. My guess is that the vomit found its way to the underarms and dried off before the mantis could clean it. 

20160628_121423.jpg

20160628_121254.jpg

Latest posts