Idolo looks to be dying

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lono

Reaction score
Very sad, my female idolo was very close to molting to adult, her wing buds are really fat. She hasn't been eating for quite a long time(close to 2 weeks) yesterday i took her out and she seemed a bit off, was clumsier then usual and seemed to struggle to fully stand up but otherwise she was ok then i touched her back leaf and noticed it was soft it folded right over. I was a little worried but hoped it was something do to molting. Last night she was hanging and sort of twitching so i thought it was molt time but this morning she was laying on the ground, took her out and shes barely alive and very soft not just her back but shes soft all over, i doubt shes gonna make it. She hadn't shown any signs of poor health before this, she did always take an incredibly long time between molts not sure if that's just an idolo thing but i've had her for 7 months and she never made it to adult. 

Last edited by a moderator:
eh i'd rather not, shes in bad condition but there isn't anything abnormal to see, she'll just look dead. I have her out of her enclosure not sure what i can do for her, but shes just laying down she isn't moving much, she looks like shes breathing heavily with her abdomen moving. 

I may be able to help, I too have Idolomantis. You never know, I have had mantids come back from peril. What conditions did you keep her under?

Last edited by a moderator:
had her in a glass aqaurium tank with nylon mesh top, and i glued nonslip mat to the walls for her. cocofiber on the bottom. and has a heatpad. I used a cheap hygrometer so i really dunno if it was accurate, should have got a better one. But usually around 85 degrees F and moisture could fluxuate, but when i put water in it gets pretty high it's reading 80% now. I heard they need high humidity but i kinda felt like it might have been too high.

well i think she's dead she's starting to darken, no head movement anymore or upperbody legs move a little and abdomen. dark black liquid on her butt. before she would move her arms if i touched her and could sill look around a little.

So sorry for your loss! It's sad that she lived so long only to die right before reaching adult. What was she eating?

- MantisGirl13

BBFs for a long time then i switched to mealworms which she's been eating for a couple months. Is it normal for idolo's to take that long to get to adult?

So sorry for your loss! It's sad that she lived so long only to die right before reaching adult. What was she eating?

- MantisGirl13
She'll be missed, she was a family favorite, everyone loved her and we were all really excited to see her adult form. it's a sad loss. 

Latest posts