Idolomantis defense

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez_freak

Reaction score
Hi,

any one know what it is when the idolo rears up on back legs and shows the colourful inside of their arms? I'm pretty sure that is what it is but do they all do that? Mine is just developing those colours and was wondering if it'll do those cool threat displays soon or only when adult.

Cheers, Cameron.

hi cameron, they do this from quite small (maybe even hatchlings) not just adults. However, they don't do it very reliably. Mine will (unfortunately) display only once or twice and then not do it again for weeks even when 'provoked' by the same stimulus (ie being poked by a pencil lol). i first noticed the display when i put both my L4 in the same cage and they did this threat display to each other. they might use this to space themselves out in the environment to avoid competition. It is certainly quite impressive. JH Fabre called it the 'spectre' display in his famous description of the european mantis. I think most mantids may have a similar display.

Latest posts