Idolomantis diabolica adult female molt (Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Took a while but here is the molt video as promised. Added some comparison footage at the end so you can see how extreme the colors became after the molt.

Idolos invariably pick the wrong spot to molt unless surrounded by branches so once she's out of the old skin you'll see I used a mesh curtain to give her something to grip in addition to the skin. All I did was cut a piece of mesh material, glued twigs to it to give it some weight and additional gripping surfaces, and attached office clips so I can clip it wherever needed. I've used it for nearly all the sub and adult molts with no incidence of falls.

Music by Precarious :walkman:

Wow! Awesome Henry! The video is incredible plus your suspended grip device is innovative. This is not only a cool video but very informative. Thanks for sharing. :D

Dang...I should've posted earlier when I first watched the vid. I would've been the first to comment!

Ah well.

Great video! I had to wipe the drool off of my keyboard, though! :p

I have to wonder...do you sell CDs of your music? I love that sci-fi-techno sound! Made me feel like I was watching a sci-fi "Alien" movie!! :D

I have to wonder...do you sell CDs of your music? I love that sci-fi-techno sound! Made me feel like I was watching a sci-fi "Alien" movie!! :D
Thanks! It's in the works but on the back burner for the time being. I kind of switched from music production to video to photopgraphy. Of course, it all becomes part of the same thing if I play my cards right. ;)

Another note on the net thing. Since you have the twigs on there already, might want to just abandon the wide netting and go with corse cloth or burlap. I forgot how clumsy they are, and when I saw the feet going through the netting, I thought how funny it was that I was nervously watching a "precarious" molting BY Precarious!

Great work.

I have never seen a species I want more then this . . . Spectacular colors! I'll bet they're really expensive! And so massive. . . .biggest mantis you've had thus far precarious?

Incredible!!! I love the "18 days later" part. The color difference just leaves me speechless.

I have never seen a species I want more then this . . . Spectacular colors! I'll bet they're really expensive! And so massive. . . .biggest mantis you've had thus far precarious?
I think I paid around $10 for each L1 nymph which is reasonable for this species.

As far as size, my other mantids measure up like this...

Adult female Idolo: 4.5" long

Adult male Mega Mantis: 4" long (females get as big as 5" or 6")

Sub-adult female Heterochaeta: 5.25" long

So the Heterochaeta will be longer by far once adult, but, in my opinion, nothing looks quite as fearsome or beautiful as an Idolo. And honestly, what threat display can compare with theirs?

Here's a comparison shot with her next to an adult female Ghost (they've been hanging out all day):

IdoloGhost_5535-sm.jpg

I think I paid around $10 for each L1 nymph which is reasonable for this species.

As far as size, my other mantids measure up like this...

Adult female Idolo: 4.5" long

Adult male Mega Mantis: 4" long (females get as big as 5" or 6")

Sub-adult female Heterochaeta: 5.25" long

So the Heterochaeta will be longer by far once adult, but, in my opinion, nothing looks quite as fearsome or beautiful as an Idolo. And honestly, what threat display can compare with theirs?

Here's a comparison shot with her next to an adult female Ghost (they've been hanging out all day):

IdoloGhost_5535-sm.jpg
10 dollars? Fantastic! And Heterochaeta are longer but very thin. I would say Idolo's are overall " Larger ".

I'm going to purchase some if I ever see them for sale on the site!

Fantastic video! I think your idea of adding the extra gripping surface after skin shed during the molting is a great idea. I really enjoyed this video.
GoodJob.gif

But if we would have been able to see it without the music, I'm sure I saw (and we would have heard her) mumbling, "Enough with the video camera already!
Embarrassed2.gif
No decency, I tell you... no decency!!"
AngryChatteringRant.gif
:eek: :p :lol:

Latest posts