Idolomantis diabolica Adult Females

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen quite a few results with those puffers and they are pretty compact but you will get better diffusion with more surface area. I highly recommend you trying a small diy softbox over each one, kitchen roll/towel does an awesome job at reducing specular highlights. I wouldn't look as cool but it would save a few dollars and work really well.

Kitchen towel and an elastic band would be no effort and probably worth a couple test shots.
I have the only diffusers made specifically for this flash unit and I'm not satisfied with them. Plus I want something a little more stable than foam or paper towel. The Gary Fong's earn a lot of praise from pros because they actually spread the light out making it seem natural. (You should check his products if you haven't already. Pretty interesting stuff.) They have a curved, textured surface designed specifically for that. I've read quite a bit online and this seems the best option. I ordered them today. Should have them next week. About $35 for two, shipped. Not too bad.

Here's and article from one of the guys using them:

http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2008/02/macro-rig-for-2008.html

If they don't do it for me then I'll start experimenting with foam, paper towel and ping pong balls. But I'm hoping this will be the fix I need. If not you'll be hearing from me. :D

"The girls are growing up. Caught a molt on video. I'll post that later."

I was wondering if you were still going to post it? :)
Yeah, I'm really behind in editing video because I'm so caught up in photography. Plus the new camcorder arrived and I've been putting time into finding the best quality magnification for it.

Maybe today I'll spend some time on video.