Idolomantis diabolica L1 (Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
My prickly little animatronic robot... Idolomantis diabolica or Giant Devil's Flower Mantis.

Very large for an L1 mantis. They already make a threat display! Check out those spiky claws. Color scheme suggests ant or wasp mimicry. Looking forward to seeing the color changes following future molts.

Took this footage after getting them settled in after a very rough trip through the post.

I was hoping to try to breed these. Unfortunately only 2 of the 6 I ordered survived.
sad.gif

Music by Precarious, as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great! Sorry to hear you lost so many. Thus is the nature of the young mantid.
sad.gif
You music makes me wanna get high, which I haven't done since I was 17!
laugh.gif
And that's a compliment if you were wondering. Nice vid Precarious

Only 2 of the 6? That must have been rough... Good luck with the 2 that you've got! And cool video! =]

You are quick with the editing! I still have yet to make a song. lol

I think I have to buy some midi controller now. oiy.

Sweet little mantises! Nice footage as usual too! Sorry I'm laggin' on pics.

Henry: Nice vid and music as we get to enjoy the great footage of the early days. Now that I am acquiring this species, it means a lot to me to see the various stages. Mine came from Chris P and I believe they are L-1s as they look identical and are not showing any color other than the black and off-white. I love the way they move. They even demonstrate some forms as in Kung Fu. I am jazzed from watching what you have posted here. Thanks!

Henry: Nice vid and music as we get to enjoy the great footage of the early days. Now that I am acquiring this species, it means a lot to me to see the various stages. Mine came from Chris P and I believe they are L-1s as they look identical and are not showing any color other than the black and off-white. I love the way they move. They even demonstrate some forms as in Kung Fu. I am jazzed from watching what you have posted here. Thanks!
Thanks, Rich. My vids have come a long way in a year, but I believe all the early Idolo vids are posted here if you do a search. Or go to my YouTube channel and see them in order.

I love the way the L1s move. Wish that trait carried over as they mature.

I agree with the movements of the L-1s. I will have five of my own and five I now have in addition go to Alice this Monday. I have started the regimen of spraying at night before the lights are out and therefore after dark getting the benefit of the elevated humidity. They must be ready to molt soon as they are not going after the hoards of ff that are either walking about (Hydeis) or flying (wild culture from a ripe apple). At which stage have you been able to see the difference in the sexes' antenae. I know to see it in the adults is too easy, but mine only older one is about L-5 or L-6 and I am thinking by then what is there shall remain (stubby vs. thin antennae). Am I right?

Thanks again for all you do for the rest of us,

Rich

I am also working with Tammy Wolfe and Mark S.

At which stage have you been able to see the difference in the sexes' antenae. I know to see it in the adults is too easy, but mine only older one is about L-5 or L-6 and I am thinking by then what is there shall remain (stubby vs. thin antennae). Am I right?
Yeah, the easiest way to tell is the antennae but at L5-L6 it's pretty subtle. The thickness is mainly at the base so you've got to look really close. It's best if you are comparing multiples of the same age. That's the easiest way to spot the differences, assuming you have some of each sex of course.

Best of luck with them. I've got 4 at around L5. Haven't sexed them yet.

Why is this species considered hard to raise?

Is it problems with molting or something?

Nice video. What if these guys were the size of a small dog, and you could leash walk them, lol. Awesome!