Idolomantis Diabolica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Yen, firstly they were all wild caught specimens, and most of them were pretty grotty.

From about 3 of them, I had about 35 out of each, but I am not sure if this is good or bad hatching wise for Idolomantis. About 10 of the ootheca I only had 3 or 4 hatch out, but a few of them I later inspected, and they were parasite/wasp infected which may hav ebeen the problem.

The problem was rearing them, as it appeared that they got extremely stressed out. I resorted to splitting them into groups of 5 or so, when the deaths appeared to completely stop. Pretty much the same behaviour I had as the wild caught Tenodera.

But, once you have the split up, they are excelent feeders, and I must say I didn't have any problems thereafter.

I am trading couple of idolomantis oothecae from Sascha, his first ootheca usually hatched out around 50+ and about a dozen less nymphs on the following oothecae, so you are incubating it correctly and on the average hatching rate (could have been more.... i hate parasite wasp :evil: ).

I am trading couple of idolomantis oothecae from Sascha, his first ootheca usually hatched out around 50+ and about a dozen less nymphs on the following oothecae, so you are incubating it correctly and on the average hatching rate (could have been more.... i hate parasite wasp :evil: ).
Stupid parasite's :evil:

Heres some more pictures. Never had this species before and after hearing about difficulties raising them was a bit concerned I'd be unsucessful. Thankfully I've managed to rear these two from L3 and just a couple of days ago they mated. Any tips for oothecae substrate? The females currently in one of those mesh laundry holding things is that ok for laying on?

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

The later moults are definitely difficult with Idolos but the earlier ones shouldn't be if you provide the correct conditions.

I would suggest that if you have problems with all your moults that you are not providing the correct conditions for them. What species are they?

Cheers

Alan

The later moults are definitely difficult with Idolos but the earlier ones shouldn't be if you provide the correct conditions.I would suggest that if you have problems with all your moults that you are not providing the correct conditions for them. What species are they?

Cheers

Alan
By diffucult I really mean more as stressful. I have a few marble, chinese, african, Giant Indian, will be getting some Giant Asian, some orchirds, and a violin.

Latest posts