Idolomantis/Metallyticus/Eremiaphila/etc.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well. Thanks anyway! I agree that shipping overseas wouldn't work that well. I have always wanted metallycus splendidus, but I don't know where to get them!

- MantisGirl13

Beautiful  mantids you have. the Tarachodula pantherina  is on my wish list too. They are so cute with their big heads. But have enough mantids for now or my living room will be changing in a mantid zoo. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a mantis zoo really such a bad thing? I wish I had enough money to make a mantis zoo in my room!

- MantisGirl13

For me not. :p Don't think my hubby would like to live in a mantis zoo.He doesn't understand what I like about mantids. I dont think I will get him in the mantis hobby too..

Turns out I already had subadult M. splendidus. The first male completed his final molt today and looks gorgeous!

Si3W3pv.jpg

gQftljj.jpg

9YhuusT.jpg

N3TAWw9.jpg

BCN9lgw.jpg

Wow amazing, and there's nothing like a surprise adult!  Nice pictures, and the mantids look awesome.

No, the L1 are already starting to cannibalize.
Voracious little beasts! Puts them squarely on my future want list  :)  I'm sure I read somewhere on online about them being communal, but after seeing what happened with yours at mating couldn't see it myself lol! 

Three M. splendidus males are adult now. Once they get ready to mate, they are occasionally having phases of extreme activity. They run and fly around the tank for several hours nonstop, it's funny to watch.

HDbMjJC.jpg
xcxfede.jpg

hmgGX98.jpg
jcF8jNH.jpg

deOqg7b.jpg

I tried to make a few GIFs of them flying. Sorry for the wonky camera work, but they are so hard to film and I have to pay a lot of attention so they don't get loose in the room.

The subadult females got some intense colors.

tzHri94.jpg

tZFsyiE.jpg

I've had a few losses among the young Tarachodula nymphs and as "luck" would have it, I only have males left. Hopefully I can get hold of females or another batch of nymphs, I like this species. They've got great awareness of their surroundings and a really pretty pattern.

PgmjAsc.jpg

nw7POMX.jpg

yjjUmrF.jpg

And here's an Eremiaphila nymph playing dead. Sometimes they just freeze when they get startled. :p

UlCosNC.jpg

The M. splendidus look so cool, and the adults are just too cute when they run and fly haha.  Great shots of the Tarachodula also.

Wow! Those are some amazing mantids you have there! Your panthers are adorable, and I love the pic of the Eremiaphila playing dead! ;)  

- MantisGirl13

Finally, the first M. splendidus female reached adulthood. It took her two days to gain her color, though I think the purple wings also looked pretty cute.

6P4FYwB.jpg

WDOizgv.jpg

G4GVN6h.jpg

Uc8xhy1.jpg

4kVQhw9.jpg

Latest posts