Idolomantis/Metallyticus/Eremiaphila/etc.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new tank for the M. violaceus is now finished and they moved in, pretty happy with how it turned out. I'll have to tweak the M. splendidus tank soon and add some more bark around the middle area there as well.

VcasBiK.jpg

I would have liked to get a closeup shot with an adult pair and subadult in one pic, but they are just too restless during handling.

VG1UEkL.jpg
NAYzaXg.jpg

They got right down to exploring and claiming bark hides.

Iz0jjFc.jpg
rD1HD38.jpg
oPH4NYW.png
3c8dOYD.jpg
iHdFxN1.jpg
A8XIdfm.jpg
lXprnEm.jpg

A bloated ooth left in the old tank, the hole must've been a bit too small to fit everything.

28vRxpU.jpg

Is it a fertile ooth?
I think it has a good chance, the eggs are all properly coated in the protective foam, and I believe the ooth has been laid by a young female. The old M. violaceus girl laid all her ooths flat between two cork sheets, though I still haven't gotten any additional nymphs from hers. Maybe the previous male wasn't very fertile, or maybe eggs are a lot more susceptible to dry out or get damaged when they are laid in this manner, I'm not sure. But now that they are in the new tank, future ooths are hopefully laid inside the stems I prepared.

bWWWKXy.jpg

A bunch of my M. splendidus nymphs have reached L4, so I prepared an intermediate setup where they can grow a bit more until they're ready for the main tank.

Yex5I4Q.jpg
l0HtMLE.jpg
9ph13Ih.jpg
gT7LUee.jpg
9gXLZqm.jpg

I managed to film the mating initiation of a M. splendidus pair today! Even at their age, the males still went crazy as soon as they sensed a female emitting pheromones. I just wish I had noticed it a little sooner so I could have set up some lighting for better quality, but they are so quick.

The last of my M. violaceus has entered adulthood. This one decided to molt on the ceiling in the usual mantis style for some reason, I've only seen young nymphs do it like that before.

FeFlspQ.jpg
206BwDf.jpg
PscPDo7.jpg
ojZHRyU.jpg
nn8g07w.jpg

And two ooths have been deposited in a log so far.

0W0xUfO.jpg

The next M. splendidus generation is starting to grow into adulthood. A few males already molted, the first female shouldn't be far off. Since I let all the ooths hatch in the tank there's also still some earlier instars growing up in there, but they're living well together with their bigger siblings.

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

Caught a rare hanging molt from the ceiling

IMG_4287.jpg

And a regular molt on the wall

IMG_4313.jpg

I always love the purple shine that older nymphs have a few hours after molting.

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

The M. violaceus this generation didn't yield me much offspring, and I had quite a lot of early die-offs. There are still three females and one male alive that are really old at this point. They don't move around much anymore, but they must still lay ooths as I spot new nymphs sometimes that I move out of the tank to more carefully raise them in smaller containers. I think there should be enough to successfully keep them going into the next generation.

IMG_3368.jpg