Idolomantis & Phyllocrania UK?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone from the UK on here keep/breed I. diabolica or P. paradoxa?

If so I'd love to see soem photo's of them and the housing if possible?

I have kept these in the past on numerous occasions. However, I never usually take photos of the enclosure. Ellroy (Alan) has some, and will also tell you about his idolomantis success!

You can have a look in my gallery for other mantid photos:

www.insectstore.com/gallery

Thanks Alan,

Congratulations on your success with the diabolica! Have you found them easy to keep?

Put me down for offspring when they hatch and be sure to post pics when they hatch as well :wink:

Hi Justin,

Yes, I've found them very easy to keep as far as feeding and environmental conditions....its just the later moults that can be a challenge and this is where many people have lost otherwise healthy mantids. I've managed 2 successful adult moults but that may have been down to luck. I hope to keep working with Idolo's to find a winning formula!

Will certainly try to get some good pics when they hatch,

Alan

ellroy i that 2 out of 2 or did you have some fails?

also are you the one when pics were posted that had straw attached to the top of the tank?

I started with 6 nymphs and only 2 made it to adulthood. I lost 3 as subadults and one died following the final moult.

It was Devilsflower who used the straw in the cages but I have not used this method. Its something I will try when I am rearing nymphs in the future as well as the mesh cages that have worked for these 2.

Alan

I got them from Ian at Mantisinc but I'm not sure if he has anymore at the moment, might be worth checking his website though as he gets new stock in all the time.

Alan