Idolo's carnivorous plants gallery

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idolomantis

Reaction score
There you go, Rebecca! :D

I've got only a fe pictures of my sarracenia right now.. i need to find batteries for my camera <_<

Oh well, enjow the show! B)

Sarracenia hybride

2869923587_20b8a1cc31_b.jpg

2869923953_f3fec971cd_b.jpg

2869924393_8195c98103_b.jpg

2870754518_03dbe8cacc_b.jpg

More to come today :)

Very nice... What is the level of difficulty of the maintenance and care for these?

Oh those are so beautiful, I have tried them and nothing worked, I really would like to try again, do u sell any?
I believe obregon has a plant shop, coastal carnivours or something.

Oh, i believe garden centers sell them too!

I'm no plant expert ye :lol:i just began a month ago :p

Sarracenia's are easy, but do much better as garden plants then house plants. Just google around and you'll get lots of info, like this site

Pitcher plants

three key things to remember, demineralized water (rain water), poor soil and lots of sun.

I've had two species in my garden for the last 3 years and they have no problems in our mild winters (Netherlands). In fact some of the Sarracenia species have MUCH colder winters than we do. So, for you Americans, like hibiscussmile, just look for some native species and grow them in an artificial bog in your garden. :D

sarra2.jpg

sarra1.jpg

Most people buy distilled water during the hotter months when there's not much rain. Also, remember not to use soil with fertilizer in it.

Most people buy distilled water during the hotter months when there's not much rain. Also, remember not to use soil with fertilizer in it.
Hi,

Don't use soil!! of any kind for carnivorous plants. Use, depending on the plant use various mixtures of sphagnum living or dried, peat moss, sand, perlite/pumice etc. I am sure that is what you meant.

Regards ;)

Just about anything that has no nutrients in it should work, although they prefer an acidic soil. Peat moss and perlite is the mainstream mix, just be sure not to buy anything from miracle grow! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
:huh: Oh Dear God, I shall never have one! too many directions, I can grow, Hibiscus and corn and tomatoes and beans and that kind of thing, but I have never used poor soil, don't think I have any either. There has to be a clearer choice for soil. But I really want to try some. :wub:

It may be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's really pretty simple. :p

Home Depot has peat moss and perlite. Try a ratio of 1:2, one part perlite, two parts peat moss. You can also purchase pre-mixed soil from some vendors (I know cobraplant.com has it) to start yourself out.

Speaking of cobraplant.com, they specialize in catering to noobies. I would highly suggest purchasing your first plant from them because of this, and reading some of the info they've got around their site.

Their ebook really helped me out a lot when I was first starting out.

WOW IDOLO you have VERY NICE pitchers, i have some right now, and i fail at it. =( i am hoping to try it again with another breed. i actually was told to keep it in a terrarirum, so i kept it in one of rebeccas short rectangulars with some of her moss and soil mix, and i dont know what happened. it looks horrible and unhealthy; well very nice job idolo!

They are challenging to grow in a terrarium properly(in other words, don't bother if you're new). Sarracenia are outdoor plants. Keep it outside all year, where it can get full sun all day, or at the very least 6 hours of it.

WOW IDOLO you have VERY NICE pitchers, i have some right now, and i fail at it. =( i am hoping to try it again with another breed. i actually was told to keep it in a terrarirum, so i kept it in one of rebeccas short rectangulars with some of her moss and soil mix, and i dont know what happened. it looks horrible and unhealthy; well very nice job idolo!

:huh: Oh Dear God, I shall never have one! too many directions, I can grow, Hibiscus and corn and tomatoes and beans and that kind of thing, but I have never used poor soil, don't think I have any either. There has to be a clearer choice for soil. But I really want to try some. :wub:
just buy at a garden center :lol:

just buy at a garden center :lol:
I actually wouldn't suggest this until you've had a bit of experience first. Most CPs sold at garden centers are unhealthy, and need some time(often around a year) and TLC before looking like normal again.

If you happen to be at the nursery when the shipment had just recently arrived, the situation can be different. But as a general rule, CPs sold at garden centers don't get enough sunlight and are kept in stagnant, overly humid conditions resulting in poor pitcher growth and lanky, spindly leaves.

Hey Guys,

Something to watch out for if you shop at Home Depot for your pete and perlite - WATCH OUT! They often sell the Miracle Grow brand which is fortefied with fertilizer. BAD THING.

You want to make sure you get PURE pete and perlite. No fertilizer.

Sars CAN be fertilized, but the solution has to be quite diluted, and the Miracle Grow formulas are way too rich, and will destroy your plants.

Next,

Hibiscusmile, the directions looks hard....but it's quite easy, really.

I grow many of mine outdoors year round (zone 6, NY - and I know people who do the same on the Vermont boarder, zone 5 or even 4).

I put a pond liner in the ground, filled with pete & perlite mixed about 2:1 or so. planted the sars, and top dressed pine bark mulch . Most people use long fibered sphagnum moss of this, but I dared to be different. However, in retrospect, I wish I HAD used the LFS because my pine chips would blow away in the wind....

At any rate, the only maintenance required is around thanksgiving I have to cover it with a think leaf mulch, and in the spring (late April or so) I have to remove the leaf mulch.

And every couple of years I have to dig out the plants and divide them because they grow too big!

Sarracenia and venus fly traps are often fussed with too much, which is the eventual cause of their demise. All they need is the right soil, pure water (filtered or rain), sunlight, and to be left alone.

Someone mentioned the Black Jungle a few posts above - those guys are great. We had fun getting ripped Saturday night of the show (check the NECPS show thread for awesome pics)! They have some great plants, and excellent service.

You can also check out www.terraforums.com, and the associated store flytrapshop.com

Latest posts