If I order L3 Nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunatly, at least in my case, it can't. Mine will only take it as L2 to L4. After that (at least in my case) they'll only eat live food. Perhaps it's a survival instinct, 'when your young, eat anything and everything you can" :lol:

Unfortunatly, at least in my case, it can't. Mine will only take it as L2 to L4. After that (at least in my case) they'll only eat live food. Perhaps it's a survival instinct, 'when your young, eat anything and everything you can" :lol:
I don't know. I would have to see it to believe it.

I don't know. I would have to see it to believe it.
Maybe yours will do it. Go ahead and try it.

I put a piece in the greenhouse nowhere near any mantids. If they actually go to it and eat it I will be surprised.

Well, they won't eat it like that! You have to handfeed it to them. I really don't do it much. Takes too much time and I don't really need to feed them while I wait for other food to arrive since it usually arrives quickly.

Well, they won't eat it like that! You have to handfeed it to them. I really don't do it much. Takes too much time and I don't really need to feed them while I wait for other food to arrive since it usually arrives quickly.
Well that's what I was asking this whole time! I know they will eat it if I feed it to them. I thought you were saying you just put it in there and they went over and eat it.

I feel like I am "having my leg pulled"!

It would be a lot easier to drop in a little tuna rather than hassle flys and bugs and my wife would like it better too. Yesterday she asked it the frutflys got out, would then infest, live on outr cats! Guess she didbn't take too many entomology classes in college.

My nymphs are so tinny I can't see them eating anythng anyway. I thought they only ate live stuff. Hw do you feed tuna? Do yu mix it with Mayo and mke tiny little sandwishes or?????

Truth this time, OK?

I feel like I am "having my leg pulled"!It would be a lot easier to drop in a little tuna rather than hassle flys and bugs and my wife would like it better too. Yesterday she asked it the frutflys got out, would then infest, live on outr cats! Guess she didbn't take too many entomology classes in college.

My nymphs are so tinny I can't see them eating anythng anyway. I thought they only ate live stuff. Hw do you feed tuna? Do yu mix it with Mayo and mke tiny little sandwishes or?????

Truth this time, OK?
They do only eat live food. I also thought they were saying they just put the tuna in there and they went for it which isn't gonna happen with tuna or anything else. Mantids will eat things that you put against their mouth. This is hard to do with tiny nymphs.

Your nymphs are small but they can take fruit flies trust me.

:shock: I don't know, my babies were not eating and the other night after reading about the tuna, I decided to try it. They seem to be eating the tuna! I am not sure, but they are droping onto the tuna plate (tiny lid) and staying there for awhile. They are a week old and only a few have taken ff's. I give them water daily, but they are on the tuna. :wink:

:shock: I don't know, my babies were not eating and the other night after reading about the tuna, I decided to try it. They seem to be eating the tuna! I am not sure, but they are droping onto the tuna plate (tiny lid) and staying there for awhile. They are a week old and only a few have taken ff's. I give them water daily, but they are on the tuna. :wink:
Told ya'. Just kiddin'.

They do only eat live food. I also thought they were saying they just put the tuna in there and they went for it which isn't gonna happen with tuna or anything else. Mantids will eat things that you put against their mouth. This is hard to do with tiny nymphs.Your nymphs are small but they can take fruit flies trust me.
I dont put it anywhere near them, they are just inquisitve. Mine do eat stuff ive killed.

My nymphs will just 'go over' and eat half crickets that I put in with them..
Half crickets?! What, do you chop them up with a machete?
Heh I wish, penknife does the job..

They do only eat live food. I also thought they were saying they just put the tuna in there and they went for it which isn't gonna happen with tuna or anything else. Mantids will eat things that you put against their mouth. This is hard to do with tiny nymphs.Your nymphs are small but they can take fruit flies trust me.
I dont put it anywhere near them, they are just inquisitve. Mine do eat stuff ive killed.

My nymphs will just 'go over' and eat half crickets that I put in with them..
Half crickets?! What, do you chop them up with a machete?
Heh I wish, penknife does the job..
But a machete would be so cool!

Ive never seen this before but my biggest Chinese (Jackie Chan as I call her) I put 2 large crickets in her cage and she seemed kinda sppoked so I took one out. She caught the left over and kinda ate at his head a bit, then she let him just hang there from her raptor arms for a bit. She ate some more and dropped it. Then as I sat at my computer desk watching her she walked down and grabbe the rest of that dead cricket!

I've never ever seen a Mantis eat something that was already dead.

She didnt actually finish all of him in the end, he was pretty big afterall.

But she gave it her darndest try, lol.

Latest posts