Ill Orchid Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting, I have had that happen, sorry to say and never notice a problem, unless of course it was an adult, and then it did bleed. Don't member what happened after that....sorry
sad.gif

Thanks again, everyone, for the info and suggestions. The affected limb was removed with sharp, sterile scissors. Afterward, the stump did ooze a bit of fluid. Concerned that the poor creature would indeed die from blood loss, I applied a dressing of cyanoacrylate (superglue). This compound cures very fast, and is virtually inert after cure, so I figured that it would make a good bandage. So far, two hours later, that seems to be the case. Time will tell; I just hope that the infection, whatever it is, does not spread.... I'll keep you posted.

I'm glad you did the surgery, Jeff, because I believe she would have certainly died soon if left to continue as she was. And I really hope it will stop the progression of the fatal "black disease," or complications from it. I believe no matter how she does now, at least there is some hope.

Please do keep us informed. This "disease" is a dreaded mystery to mantis keepers; and I'm sure many of us will be very interested in any updates... and of course the eventual outcome.

Thanks, Becky! Actually, I think that some light could be shed upon this situation, particularly if someone skilled in microbiology were to try to culture the pathogen from infected tissue. Unfortunately, although I'm a scientist, this is not my area of expertise. However, I do know someone currently working on a Ph.D. in microbiology, and I may contact her to see if a culture could be made. Of course, such knowledge may ultimately not be very useful at all, but must confess that I'm very curious to learn more about this.

Thanks again, everyone, for the info and suggestions. The affected limb was removed with sharp, sterile scissors. Afterward, the stump did ooze a bit of fluid. Concerned that the poor creature would indeed die from blood loss, I applied a dressing of cyanoacrylate (superglue). This compound cures very fast, and is virtually inert after cure, so I figured that it would make a good bandage. So far, two hours later, that seems to be the case. Time will tell; I just hope that the infection, whatever it is, does not spread.... I'll keep you posted.
I hope your mantis responds well to this treatment.

... this affliction, does it affect other species? Like Giant Asian mantises? Or should I not worry about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the glue though. Seems that would have some nasty chemicals in it.

Not sure about the glue though. Seems that would have some nasty chemicals in it.
It does; however, it cures very fast, and is quite inert after that. Consequently, I don't think it has an opportunity to diffuse and do harm. Instead, it forms a hard seal over the wound and prevents infection or loss of fluid. So far, she's still alive and seems to be OK....

It does; however, it cures very fast, and is quite inert after that. Consequently, I don't think it has an opportunity to diffuse and do harm. Instead, it forms a hard seal over the wound and prevents infection or loss of fluid. So far, she's still alive and seems to be OK....
Actually, I've used "New Skin" (a liquid bandage product for humans... for small cuts, etc.) successfully on mantis wounds on the abdomen with success. It even has antiseptic properties and cures/hardens forming a seal pretty quickly.

Actually, I've used "New Skin" (a liquid bandage product for humans... for small cuts, etc.) successfully on mantis wounds on the abdomen with success. It even has antiseptic properties and cures/hardens forming a seal pretty quickly.
That's what I was thinking of earlier. I guess we can see what happens with her.

Well, as of this point in time, she seems to be doing about as well as a one-armed mantis can. The disease has not reappeared on the affected limb, and her behavior seems otherwise normal. Appetite is also good. Fingers are crossed.... :)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! So far, so good! I am guardedly optimistic that she's going to survive!

Just thought that I would let you know that she is still alive and doing quite well. In fact, as I mentioned in another thread, I woke up one morning this week to find that she'd deposited an ooth in her enclosure. Now, I doubt that it's fertile, but who knows?? In any event, so far, so good! :)

Thought I would let you all know that she is still alive and well, more than a month after the amputation! So far, so good! :)

My giant asian, Banana just passed last night from the black. She chewed her arm to the joint but there was still a speck of black left. She ate regularly and drank less than usual for about a week until she got a bit limp and finally passed. She died while I was asleep so upon finding her I figured proper burial was to let my turtle have her.