I'm a Mantis Mommy! FINALLY!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still have the main hatch in the same container ? How is the carnage ?

I had a high % attacked while they were moulting .

@Serle

The death tole is definitely rising ( found half a mantis stuck to the glass this morning....eww) but its not out of control yet. I am still pumping in as many fruitflies as is possible from my declining cultures so that's probably helping. I was supposed to be getting little crickets today but they're being delayed til Sat so we'll see how the next few days go. 

Thankfully I am not yet in any danger of running out of mantises :p

@Teamonger Glad to hear they are doing well and moving right along. :)

Cannibalism is a sight I still hate, and would like to stop when I see it; however, any attempt would only injure the one eating as the other is already beyond saving. :( The only positive to it is those living nymphs seem to grow much stronger/faster and are much more hardy in health (versus nymphs that do not cannibalize).

@CosbyArt

Yes its a horrible thing to witness you just have to keeping telling yourself its nature's way.

As much as that bothers me the bit that really gets to me is when you see one that's mismolted and has one or two legs trapped in the old skin and there is no possible way you can get it out to help :(  No way to open that pandora's box to assist a single mantis no matter how much I want to.

Quick update. The brood is doing well besides their population still slowly dwindling due to cannibalism. I have re-homed about 25 or so but I still have about 50 L5s left.

They are all happily eating my black solider flies now as well as small crickets.

I should be finally picking out 6 for me to keep and name this weekend, I'm excited to finally be able to tell the sex without squinting at bug butts for minutes at a time so I feel confident enough to pick out the keepers.

Random_L5_3.jpg
eJwNyssNwyAMANBdGABjm0_IMhUiiCRKCgL3VHX35vYO76s-41Kr2kX6XAG2Y-Y2Nj2ljVSLrq3Vq6R-TJ3bDUkk5f0ub5lAbBjRYTAuWvTGO6DwiCx7tyA7tBSBzBPIxBdGZg767FX9_v68IuU.jpg

I believe it was Jan 12 the day the first post was made. I have it written on the tank at home but pretty sure that's right without checking :D  So only a little over a month to L5.

Latest posts