I'm an Entomologist- ask me anything!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This question isn't directed toward me Arvada, but I did...ever since I could crawl...I had a love for animals. While it still holds true, there is a slight preference towards insects. And now I'm on my way towards becoming one (after saying it all these years) :)

Back on topic:

Trundlebug,

I will be attending the University of Florida this Fall working towards a degree in Entomology (not sure what track yet ;) ) ...I have an equal interest in ants as I do mantids and want to eventually pursue something in one of those fields . I was thinking, since there are certain branches in Entomology, like being a Myrmecologist, or an Apiarist... where is the Mantidologist branch? (Mantis in Greek is μάντις mántis...so I would assume a scientist that specifically studies mantises would be called something around the ball park of a Mantidologist) Are there just not enough people pursuing that path/not enough interest in studying mantises for it to become a reputable branch/specification?

All the best,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately there isn't a real branch focusing on mantids. For those few of us working on mantids, the studies vary from looking at their eye sight and more physiological questions to genetic/phylogenies (e.g. Gavin Svenson), to some questions regarding mating systems (e.g. Kate Barry). Unfortunately mantids, though really cool, aren't that "sexy" as study animals because they're pretty difficult to rear cheaply in the lab and they don't have a fast generation. I mainly study their behavioral ecology and do field work so I'm able to circumvent a lot of those issues.

Thanks, guys, for your answers! I am glad to know that I can help my son follow his dream. I am not against him owning a tarantula, but I just want him to get a little older. It's those stinging hairs that worry me, not so much the bite. I was swarmed by yellow jackets as a kid, and stung by scorpions, and even a jellyfish, and I just have this thing about being stung now. Lol. I'm such a scaredy cat. It helps just to be able to tell him that other people started out the same way he did, I think. I had a silly dream as a kid, to work with big cats, but I had no idea how to get into such a career, and my family all thought I was crazy, so I just dropped it. It's important to me to be supportive, and let my kids know they can do whatever they want in this world. Even if that means spending more money than I'd like to on "bug paraphernalia" and eventually facing my fear of stings. :)

Thank you!

No problem! We need more parents like you, especially moms willing to go out of their comfort zone to support their kids. Be warned though, he may ask you to baby sit his pets if he ever travels somewhere. My mom was subjected to that and I came home to a huge pair of tweezers because she didn't want to touch the crickets. But everything was still alive.

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately there isn't a real branch focusing on mantids. For those few of us working on mantids, the studies vary from looking at their eye sight and more physiological questions to genetic/phylogenies (e.g. Gavin Svenson), to some questions regarding mating systems (e.g. Kate Barry). Unfortunately mantids, though really cool, aren't that "sexy" as study animals because they're pretty difficult to rear cheaply in the lab and they don't have a fast generation. I mainly study their behavioral ecology and do field work so I'm able to circumvent a lot of those issues.
Thanks for the answer (and congrats ;) ) ...it seems like behavioral ecology is a rewarding path to go down, regarding mantids. You get to both study them as a profession and care/raise/observe mantids all day long (and the papers you have to write too, I assume :) ) Hopefully I can find one aspect of their lives to pursue and make a profession out of it.

This question isn't directed toward me Arvada, but I did...ever since I could crawl...I had a love for animals. While it still holds true, there is a slight preference towards insects. And now I'm on my way towards becoming one (after saying it all these years) :)

Back on topic:

Trundlebug,

I will be attending the University of Florida this Fall working towards a degree in Entomology (not sure what track yet ;) ) ...I have an equal interest in ants as I do mantids and want to eventually pursue something in one of those fields . I was thinking, since there are certain branches in Entomology, like being a Myrmecologist, or an Apiarist... where is the Mantidologist branch? (Mantis in Greek is μάντις mántis...so I would assume a scientist that specifically studies mantises would be called something around the ball park of a Mantidologist) Are there just not enough people pursuing that path/not enough interest in studying mantises for it to become a reputable branch/specification?

All the best,

Andrew
Julio rivera who researches mantids for project mantodea calls it a mantodeologist. He says you can make a name like that for any order and its not always a really official name

Ahh I'm a bit late regarding the question, but a few bits of advice: 1 talk to a local entomologist and ask them what they do. 2 explore the area and see what kind of insects and spiders that you can ID, with the help of a guide of course. 3 Share the interest with others so that you can gain support as you have done here. I have gone from a kid who keeps mantids in his backyard to someone who works with the department of entomology for Virginia, all because I asked if I could help :)

Latest posts