I'm Back.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benayla

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been on in a while everyone. I've had a bunch of Mantis related anomalies while I've been away, where to begin? 

Hierdoula Majuscula:

Put my pair of of Giant Rain Forest Mantises together. And they mated twice. (That I saw) And he remained on her back while she laid the Ootheca, after which she ate him. But now we've exceeded the time it should've taken for it to hatch. And guess what, it hasn't hatched. :(

So I held my hatched out Hierodula Membranacea Ootheca next to it, and it was larger. I remember hearing that fertilized Oothecas are larger than unfertilized ones. But these are two different species. Same Genus though....They mated at least twice, so no matter how you slice it, I'm baffled that it didn't work. 

Deroplatys Dessicata:

I ordered a Giant Dead Leaf Mantis and Orchid Mantis from Mantid Kingdom. While the Orchid one was alright, the young Deroplatys Dessicata dropped dead after its first morning here. Nothing more to say about that. I know this species plays dead when stressed, but after it didn't move for over a week, I knew this wasn't that. 

Another Hierodula Membranacea:

Added another Giant Asian Mantis from my favorite Mantis sellers, Panterra Pets. The little one joyfully ran around its new cage. Teal did well, until last weekend when it molted again, and somehow managed to cut itself in half. :(

Hymenopus Coronatus: 

Wait there's more. Just today, I went home sick from work. Took a couple Tylenol and went to sleep. Then when I woke up, Shovel, my Orchid Mantis, (The same one I got from Mantid Kingdom) was gone from its cage without a trace. It always takes me a good minute or two to find it, when I check up on it, but now Shovel's actually gone. The only things in there with it were the meal worms. Again, zero trace was found of this Mantis. I find it hard to believe meal worms killed it, but I cant think of any other reason why a Praying Mantis would vanish into thin air. Even if the worms ate Shovel, somehow, I would imagine some remains would be left behind. Or am I wrong? 

So apart from my next Deroplatys Dessicata that's been in pre shipment for over two weeks now. I'm taking a break from Praying Mantises. As those of you who have read my prior experiences with them probably figure, I haven't had great luck with them. I really love Praying Mantises, so obviously I'm disheartened to see one drop dead, one cut itself in half, and another disappear without a trace. 

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how it goes with my new Deroplatys Dessicata once it arrives. Merry Christmas everyone. 

Sounds like you've had as bad luck as I have had. I hope your orchid turns up somewhere, but I have found entire scorpions go missing after leaving a few mealworms in with its container... Good luck with you new deadleaf and happy holidays:)

Sounds like you've had as bad luck as I have had. I hope your orchid turns up somewhere, but I have found entire scorpions go missing after leaving a few mealworms in with its container... Good luck with you new deadleaf and happy holidays:)
Scorpions?!? Yeah....I think I'm forever done with using Meal Worms as feeders. 

I hope Shovel shows up soon,

I had lost 1 mantis. I forgot her to put her back in her home. She started exploring  at night and i couln't find her the next day. I thought my dog had  found and killed her. But after  a few days I found her IN a closet. I was happy I found my girl again.

I think I'm forever done with using Meal Worms as feeders. 
I had 1x mealworms. I will not buy them anymore. They stink and 2 mantids that ate them got sick and died,

Welcome back! I am sorry that you have had such bad luck lately. I hope that Shovel turns up unharmed! I have never used mealworms, but have heard some pretty bad things about them, so I don't plan to use them unless it is an emergency!

- MantisGirl13

Oh my, those are some crazy stories! Cut in half?! Missing Orchid! Geez! 

I hope Shovel is okay and hiding somewhere, not in the belly of a meal worm 😢

I tried and gave up on meal worms, partially because of all the horror stories, but mostly because my Ghosts and Orchids won't touch them! They looked offended when I tried so I decided to scrap my meal worms and superworms. 

Hang in there. Eventually the bad luck has to end, right? 

Semms odd right? Try holding one in your hand long enough and it will give a good bite attempting to eat. I think the bites strong enough that the first one breaks the exo and then its too late to do anything... 

Latest posts