I'm getting violins, but they seem impossible to feed!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch65009

Superlative Сasual Dating - Live Women
Reaction score
Hey! I've been reading up a lot on violins,  and the more I read, the more challenging they seem to keep and feed. Like, how do you even feed FLYING FOOD?? It sounds crazy to me. Haha. Like, don't they get loose and fly through your whole house? And where do I even buy blue bottle flys?? There no where to be found! I wanted to keep 3-4 in a communal 10 gallon tank, but I'd have to put mesh around all the sides, right??

But anyways, that's the least of my worries, I just don't know how I'd feed them! Someone please give me ideas, thanks. 

@hysteresis oh, so there's really no place around here that has those flys?? But when you feed them, how do you do it? It seems impossible. 

@hysteresis oh, so there's really no place around here that has those flys?? But when you feed them, how do you do it? It seems impossible. 
Well, you pupate and eclose flies for the older nymphs and adults. 

You can buy Black Soldier Fly larvae from the Windsor ON area but they cost just as much, and take longer to get to flies. 

Younger nymphs take hydei. 

You can also eclose wax moths from waxworms. 

Hand feeding gongys is brutal. If they dont accept it immediately at first presentation, they won't take it at all for a bit. 

You can try wax worms or meal worms in a shallower feeding cup with the gongy inverted, but thats still hit and miss. 

Man, okay. I saw this video a few mins ago on how to feed them. It's genius! 

But if I kept them in a tank, I wouldn't have the pluggable hole. Are the black soldier flys a similar size?

Ohhh boy. Typical flies from smallest to largest. 

D. melanogaster / small ff (i1) 

D. hydei / large ff (i2/i3/i4) 

L. sericata / GBF (i4 on) 

C. vomitoria / BBF (i4/i5 on) 

Look at more videos. You can put your ff culture in the fridge to slow them down, but use a feeder cup that you sprinkle them into, theyll stay near the bottom of your 2nd cup if yiu tap the cup frequently on the table. 

Oh I see. The shipping is pretty expensive for some flies. Haha. 

This may sound gross but sometimes when I run out of flies and I'm in a bind, I rip a mealworm in half and let my big Violin taste the goo. They always take it afterwards but they have to be used to seeing the tweezers or they tend to bat it away.

@Jaywo yeah it is kina gross. Haha. But i didnt know mantids didnt like certian tweezers?? Cause ever since i got a better pair of tweezers, my mantis just wont eat from them. 

I use a wooden skewer that i've hot glued a piece of stiff wire to. I rip the feeder open, Skewer it lightly, and present this prey item with the low-profile instrument of my design. Unobtrusive. But, Gongys are a$$e$ about this kind of thing and if he doesn't take it on first presentation, he wont take it at all. I have to try later.

@Mitch65009, throw in with me, and maybe another Canadian or two from  the "Canadian Mantis Connection" group, and we'll order BBFs together. Split the shipping and duties, if they asses them at import. Only way you'll get BBFs. Alternatively, google a way to catch flies in a trap outside. Even try culturing them yourself in the summer. 

Yeah, I probably order them with you sometime. I don't think Id ever be able to catch them. Lol

Latest posts