Im new and dont know the species

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesexymantisboy

Reaction score
The pictures are kinda bad, but thanks for the help. The guy said it was an African mantis.

Simon.jpg

Simon_2.jpg

Simon_3.jpg

Simon_4.jpg

It looks like g. asian nymph
It cant be african i cant see any bone through its nose & it cant be asian i dont see a turban LOL!

Its a rare species called Manticus Humaneaticus, Be very careful with this one it can reach 60ft long and eats humans................ LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the shape of the abdomen and raptorial arms its a wide arm mantis, cilnia humarlis or spelt something like that, keep like most mantids but crickets as much as possible as they do a llota damage to these sometimes

CA seems rather strict in regards to non-native insects. I would expect the LA museum to allow only native species to be made available! Stegmomantis sp would seem to be more likely. Probably S. californica. But none of mine carry the abdomen curled over like that.

My guess would be the same as Morpheus. i.e. Wide arm mantis . Cilnia humeralis.

Check the inner foreleg of the mantis, if you see black spot that should be the one. I am pretty sure that is it. Best of luck.

WOOOOO

Thank you very much :p

Heres a photo for all you none believers out there lol

Pay no attention to the colour, as i also had brown morphs to

Heres a clearer shot of the same stance as above, and i got these from a very reliable breeder that these are wide arms,

BUGS275.jpg

And heres that spot Yen`s on about

BUGS268.jpg

I have to ask this: Didn't someone post a pic of a Wide-arm attempting to eat a log/stick not long ago? And weren't people saying that these were aggressive? Well, I just want to ask are they more aggressive than budwings, and I looked up wide-arms, and no real information popped up (just Pics), so do they reach around the same length as budwings? Also, there black spot reminds me of M. religiosa.

Latest posts