In your opinion what is the strangest/most stunning species of mantis you know of?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okoboji22

Reaction score
For me it would be metallyticus but I’m curious as to what all of you think is the most stunning but little known mantis.

Toxodera, especially T. beieri. Large and stunningly beautiful.

Mantoida are as odd as Metallyticus, though without the flashy look. The adults remind me of stoneflies from a glance.

Parymenopus davisoni, such a strong yellow.

Sinomantis denticulata have a ghostly look.

Eremiaphila. Amazingly adapted to the harsh desert environments.

Theopompa servillei. They sometimes take on a blueish coloration similar to lichen.

Chlidonoptera vexillum looks like someone took a Pseudocreobotra and gave it the wings of a Creobroter.

Acanthops and Pseudoacanthops. Masters of camouflage.

^^ I agree with those.

I also think Pachymantis bicingulata nymphs and Choeradodis sp. have amazing disguises, and C. strumaria has amazing coloration on the underside of the hood. Also, the Dragon Mantis, @GayJerk made a recent post about this species.

Ghosts, they're just not rare so people don't always appreciate them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The coolest mantid I have ever seen was in one of those monster bug wars videos.  In the video they call it a Lichen Bark Mantis.  While I know there are multiple variations of the bark mantis, I've had a hard time finding pictures that look like this one, or the specific scientific name.  The best I could come up with was Humbertiella Ceylonica.  Perhaps one of you knows the exact scientific name of this particular species?  I'll post a link to the video below.  They are so extremely fast, it's amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNZxINnrIQs

The coolest mantid I have ever seen was in one of those monster bug wars videos.  In the video they call it a Lichen Bark Mantis.  While I know there are multiple variations of the bark mantis, I've had a hard time finding pictures that look like this one, or the specific scientific name.  The best I could come up with was Humbertiella Ceylonica.  Perhaps one of you knows the exact scientific name of this particular species?  I'll post a link to the video below.  They are so extremely fast, it's amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNZxINnrIQs
That's a Liturgusa. Beautiful little guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts