indian flower, flighty?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdhammer

Reaction score
My girl just recently molted to adult. She is so beautiful, I would like to take her out and hold her but I am worried. She was such a spaz as a nymph, I would hate for her to try and fly away and get injured. Is she better being admired in her home or is it safe to handle her?

Any info or insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Which species do you have? If it is a Creobroter pictipennis, perhaps I can tell you somethings. They are fine as long as you feed them properly and plenty. Do not keep the females as adults with other mantids. They can fly, but the males are the ones that like to do that more than the females. They are light and will not easily get hurt if they take to the air.

Once you get her fattened up, she won't be flying anywhere.
laugh.gif
Also, with more handling they become better used to it. Just stay in an enclosed area, just in case.

Which species do you have? If it is a Creobroter pictipennis, perhaps I can tell you somethings. They are fine as long as you feed them properly and plenty. Do not keep the females as adults with other mantids. They can fly, but the males are the ones that like to do that more than the females. They are light and will not easily get hurt if they take to the air.
+1. As much as I'd like to tell you "go ahead and keep them together", as adults, the females are just ravenous! Safe move is to keep them apart.

Creobroter of different species do fly, female too, except when they are laden with eggs. The more skittish the mantis is, the better chance it will fly.

Latest posts