Indianmeal moths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruszakus

Reaction score
Some time ago I found dry vegetables, which were infested by Indianmeal moths - I noticed that these moths were fat, clumsy and easy to catch, so instead of trashing the container I dumped its content into a safe sealed box with some small holes in it - and this started a colony of these moths.

They breed at an enormous rate, and larvae grow rapidly if there is plenty of food and high temperature. And you don't have to worry about the colony - just dump some nuts and raisins into the container, leave it for a couple of weeks - they will do just fine.

Anyone tried feeding his mantids with Indianmeal moths?

No, no, no - the deal is - this is a household pest! You just give some purpose to its life!

You can find it almost everywhere - I just figured, that contained - it could be a great source of food, now I have hundreds of larvae - they will pupate and the adult moth will be about 7-8 milimiters, clumsy as heck and easy to feed - great for small mantids ranging from 10 to 25 milimeters.

Okay then, I'll keep it out of my house if I ever get my hands on them. The last time I want in my house are pests. <_<

Yeah - they actually are quite inconvenient, the food infestation is horrible - so I would not recommend taking them into your house if you don't have them already. But if you do, believe me - they will make a good source of sustenance for mantids. I feed my P. Paradoxa and O. Planiceps (L3-L4) with them, they are already swollen like legs on mister Belpit!

Latest posts