Indonesian double shield mantis... slowest descent into death

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisto9

Reaction score
Sorry for the weird title, but I did'nt know how else to broach this subject.

I got two Indonesian double shield mantids from a seller on here a year ago (Nov 28). Thing 1, I kept, and Thing 2 went to my friend. Thing 2 passed this summer/fall. Never got full-sized and died from some sort of alien parasite. Thing 1 has done really well and is now a year old. Here's photos of him/her when he/she was younger.

Thing one hasn't eaten for weeks. I assumed he'd be dead by now. He was always a voracious eater. But now, he doesn't eat, has trouble staying on the top of the cage and his abdomen hangs down. But he's been in this state for several weeks now. How long do they take to die? Any recommendations to make him comfortable?

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

Here he is now. Doesn't move around much except when he falls from the top of his cage. Haven't seem him eat anything in at least two weeks.

IMG_4030(1).JPG

For one, that is a female, and she is very fat and does not need to eat at the moment. Thing 2 was probably a male and females live MUCH longer than the poor males. I wouldn't worry.

- MantisGirl13

Ah, good to know! I had posted pics of them when they were young and never got a definitive answer on her sex.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this posted updated.

Latest posts