Inert bones as decoration?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FraidyCat

Reaction score
hi! im new to mantid keeping and ive been gobbling up the plenty of information on this forum (especially on nymphs and feeding, so if you have any fav threads, feel free to share!) but i figured i should actually ask some good questions and stop lurking so much. :p

i have a small exo terra on a lovely stand set up in my bedroom, near the door so the airflow is at its best. I simply LOVE decorating tanks so of course ive been mulling over the decoration a lot, and i landed on an excellent aesthetic that would sate my love of animals as well as taxidermy! Bones! Deer bones to be precise, as they are beyond plentiful here and sold for cheap at the market. 

... however, im unsure if this idea would sate my desire to have a safe, mantis friendly enclosure. Everything relies on safety, so i would love your input before i go out and do anything.

the substrate will be coconut husk since its what we have on hand, im unsure on the thickness but it'll be sloped to the front so any ground-crawling buggies can be easily seen, this way any dropped food can be spotted easily and removed.

Smack dab in the middle of the tank i want to put a properly processed deer skull (boiled, stripped, inert!) or simply some shed antlers, if the skull proves too big. On them some I'll wind and hotglue faux flowers to create additional perches and give a more natural look. The eye sockets, i think, would be useful for retaining drinking water and humidity. If it gathers too much of a puddle, i could adjust the skull's angle so it doesn't collect as much or stuff them with flowers, or substrate. 

If I am lucky enough get jawbones or other bones like ribs, they'll be sticking out of the substrate to create more vertical space! er, save for the bigger bones, though, i wouldn't add hips or scapula due to their size and irregular shape. 

of course, this is but a small addition to an actual enclosure, filled more traditional sticks, flowers and twigs. the bone is just a nice looking centrepiece. if there is a skull in the tank, it would likely be half-buried to avoid feeders from hiding. 

my main questions:

what kind of grip can a mantis get from bone?

would it harm the tarsae in any way?

if there is not enough grit to the bone, would an older specimen (more worn, cracked, chipped) be useful?

if degradation is an issue, would a marine epoxy/silicone dip help? if not, opinions on dipping it in paint?

would the calcium/phosphorus content of the bones be an issue for leaching, or misting? i dont know how phos affects mantises.

my main concern is that bones typically go to the forest floor to rot... but i wont have any macro decompositors to do so. is it still a problem? i heard coco husk is a good antifungal, though i wouldnt be too miffed if a change is substrate is in order to make it work.

a potential bonus would be a little extra calcium here and there, if the mantis drinks mist from on top of the bones.  ^_^

https://www.google.ca/search?q=exo+terra+mantis&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwifgemj5f7KAhUT2GMKHQTiDMgQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=559&dpr=4#imgrc=6jUkUsnToGSm0M%3A

^ the tank! sans all decorations, bg, and heat lamp. ^

That would look awesome!!! The mantids wouldn't have any issue climbing the skull, because of the texture. I think they'd like it. I'm not sure if the antlers would be safe to hang from for molting, though... you could glue a strip of mesh alongside underneath them to be safe. As long as you don't keep it damp constantly, I don't think you'd have any problems with it rotting. Don't bother partially burying it if you'll be using flies as food, they won't burrow (but may hide in all the internal cavities). Make sure to clean out the substrate fairly regularly.

What do you want to keep in the tank? Communal nymphs? If they'll be eating fruit flies, I don't think that tank will contain them!

My mantis kids never had a problem climbing the few sheep skulls I own, it was neat to see them pop out of the eye and hide here and there! As long as the bones aren't greasy or frail, you're in the clear! I think antlers might be too smooth for them to hold on to. Horns, such as goats, don't seem to be an issue, at least with mine. If you're worried about bone rot, maybe once a week take the skull out and let it dry up in the sun for a bit. 

I never use a substrate, I just have a couple of paper towels at the bottom of my tank for easy cleaning.

They shouldn't have a problem with grip, as many can climb a glass clear plastic without issue, let along if the bone has texture which it should. The only things I have read that should be avoided are anything sticky especially tape, real plants with fine "hairs" (traps them like tape), or glass.

Regarding their feet, and their tarsi (or tarsus), if there is a small enough crack that it can become trapped in that can be a problem; however, in that regard everything is a potential problem, and only tarsi problems I've had with mantids are from one getting caught in closing the lid or in aging mantids that are falling apart with standard screen mesh. I wouldn't see it as a problem though, the only real way to find out is try it.

In the bone leaching the only thing I would see as an issue would be perhaps in it adding in mold/fungus/bacterial growth which can affect your mantids health (more airflow and perhaps tank cleaners such as isopods and springtails would also solve the problem). As you mentioned painting it, that may be a solution and get rid of any possible problems too from the start. I would recommend that if it is painted allow it to air dry for several days to a week until the paint no longer has a odor, so it is not giving off any chemicals that can affect your mantids.

Mantids actually don't need calcium as they don't have bones, and use chitin, it's said gutloaded feeders with calcium can adversely affect mantid health (some reptile cricket food in-particular). That said calcium carbonate is useful to make insect exoskeletons harder/stronger, and is a popular addictive to a millipede setup (a few ground up antacid tablets is usually the source, with the cheaper brands being 95% or higher pure calcium carbonate ).

Not sure why the Google search link for images, but a standard Exo tank is the choice for some keepers. The only downside is the large ventilation (making feeding nymphs fruit flies impossible), and the huge size making it hard for many mantids to find their prey (which a solution is to either handfeed the mantid directly with thongs/tweezers or put the mantid in a small container during feeding).

In that regard a large skull maybe the perfect place for any potential food prey to hide in, and potentially be a trap for mantids with crickets able to hide and bit the mantid. In that regard sealing the skull openings/cavities with silicon, and perhaps the brain cavity (through the foramen magnum) to prevent it.

Let us know your outcome though, as it sounds like it would be a highly decorative and unique tank. Perhaps smaller skulls from mammals such as squirrels, rabbits, racoons, opossums, etc would work better as they wouldn't need a huge tank, and would allow more for decoration.
thumbs-up2.gif

Latest posts