Insect medicine

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devetaki9

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any entomologists that would actually answer questions about our ill mantids? If so may I please have an email to one if there is? I know someone (digger?) mentioned the university of Maryland? Thank you all very much in advance

I know that there are many universities with entomology departments.

Are you asking about medicine for mantids, or a scientific view of diseases that they tend to get?

I don't believe that there are any, say, pills or medicines that have been formulated for mantids. Honey is a natural antibacterial substance, but mantids wouldn't apply this to themselves in the wild. There is research about insects being used as cures for things for people. Keeping mantids is a hobby, so I don't believe that much research would be put into it. However, the government will give financial aid for research for things like honey bees, because they are important to agriculture and are a business more than a hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonite has become research night :) gonna hit up Cornell as well, close to me and they have a major in entomology that I hope to be enrolled in by next year, thank you Science Girl ;)

Not from an Entomologist, but I did take that as a subject at Cal Poly SLO. That is not so important as the experience one has. Mantids are insects as we know, therefore what works for one insect, usually works for another. There are many natural materials that are useful in first aid against such things as fungus, wounds, mites, etc. So, the thing to do is get some of these materials, like powdered sulpher, charcoal, and others. There are some good searches on the internet. If I find some links, I will post them.

Not from an Entomologist, but I did take that as a subject at Cal Poly SLO. That is not so important as the experience one has. Mantids are insects as we know, therefore what works for one insect, usually works for another. There are many natural materials that are useful in first aid against such things as fungus, wounds, mites, etc. So, the thing to do is get some of these materials, like powdered sulpher, charcoal, and others. There are some good searches on the internet. If I find some links, I will post them.
Agreed. But I don't believe that mantids or most other insects would go so far as to apply those things.

I may have insinuated that the insects (manitds) would seek out natural materials to apply to themselves as higher animals sometimes do. I mean that we are there caretakers can find these things to apply as remedies to help naturally heal our insect friends.

I may have insinuated that the insects (manitds) would seek out natural materials to apply to themselves as higher animals sometimes do. I mean that we are there caretakers can find these things to apply as remedies to help naturally heal our insect friends.
Right. :)

I take my Mantids to Walgreens to pick out what they need! lol
Not very cryptic creatures, are they? :D

I would LOVE to see those links please :) @rich
Have you found anything, devetaki?

I have found several papers on the auditory function in mantids and a couple on neurology but none on actually treating a mantis. So far it's our forums that have given me the most and the most helpful information. Basic biology and learning as you go seems to be the best way :) I believe someone had already mentioned this though *grin

Latest posts