Insects Mantises CANNOT eat?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticMantis

Reaction score
Mantises are super voracious and apparently are not very picky when it comes to what they eat, other than sticking to things that are small enough for them to actually eat (and sometimes not even then; I'm looking at you, mantises that kill and try to eat hummingbirds 🤦‍♂️). I've come across scientific papers that describe mantises eating non-palatable or even poisonous prey, which the mantises are apparently immune to, when they are hungry. 

so my question is this: are there any prey species that mantises CANNOT eat? Something with poison that WILL kill a mantis, or one with a physical defence that means, even if they're in the mantis' grasp, the predator is unable/ unwilling to eat it? I don't mean things that are too big or are predators targeting the mantises themselves, or thanatosis (i.e. playing dead), which is more about making it so the mantis can't see you than a physical inability to eat the animal. I mean species that have anti-predator defences that ACTUALLY work against the amazing killing machine that is the praying mantis.

thanks in advance ;)

I'm not sure about other insects, but carrot-fed crickets are supposed to be fatal.
They aren't always fatal, but if they aren't taken care of with utmost cleanliness, they can carry a bacteria which leads to black death, a disease that causes the mantis to throw up a black smelly substance, then go into convulsions and die.

- MantisGirl13

They aren't always fatal, but if they aren't taken care of with utmost cleanliness, they can carry a bacteria which leads to black death, a disease that causes the mantis to throw up a black smelly substance, then go into convulsions and die.

- MantisGirl13
Do you have a source or study I can read about the bacteria? I'm interested but can't find much info besides what's on this forum. Disease in arthropods is something that is sadly under studied.

Just a thought--could falcarinol be a culprit, being a pesticide found in carrots?

I read there's something crickets don't digest well in carrots, and it's that something that hurts mantises. I saw a photo of a mantis eating around carrots on a cricket's gut.

But many feed their dubia carrots and their mantises do fine.

Do you have a source or study I can read about the bacteria? I'm interested but can't find much info besides what's on this forum. Disease in arthropods is something that is sadly under studied.

Just a thought--could falcarinol be a culprit, being a pesticide found in carrots?
I dont know which bacteria, but apparently this virus: Acheta domesticus Densovirus (AdDNV)

I know that it is said not to feed ants as they can hurt the mantis, I suppose they could craw on the mantis and start eating them where the mantis could not reach? I heard the same you's did on carrot fed crickets.

I know that it is said not to feed ants as they can hurt the mantis, I suppose they could craw on the mantis and start eating them where the mantis could not reach? I heard the same you's did on carrot fed crickets.
Ya, ants are not good food for mantids. I think they release a chemical that isn't good for the mantis and makes the ant taste bad.

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll look into this further and reply more eventually because I'm really curious about this black death now.

Ants definitely can kill things much larger than them in swarms. I've seen horror stories on another forum. 😱

Ya, ants are not good food for mantids. I think they release a chemical that isn't good for the mantis and makes the ant taste bad.

- MantisGirl13
Formic acid, if anyone wants to know the name.

I always avoid carrot due to the discussion above. When other veggies are cheap and plentiful I find that there is no reason to risk it.

I would avoid feeding insects that are known to be venomous, poisonous or aggressive. For instance I would not feed boxelder bugs (which release a nasty substance), wasps, red ants, etc.

I also avoid feeding wild caught insects due to the risk of contamination, but I know others have used wild feeders with success.

It is also beneficial if the feeders are easy to contain and will not scare the mantis. Movement often triggers their prey drive, so I look for prey that move consistently when possible.

Funny. I remember a FB post where a top shelf breeder was catching wild ants (with wings, seasonal) and feeding them to mantises. 
Ant alates, the queens and kings. Afaik, the males are defenseless.

I suppose they could craw on the mantis and start eating them where the mantis could not reach?
That happened to one of my first mantises. Had a friend watch him over vacation, but he had an ant problem and they killed him 😕

They can't eat some beetles that are too tough or difficult to grasp.  For example, most darkling beetles give mantids problems.  They either can't bite into them (too hard), or they are so smooth (as some retract their legs and are very round) that they are hard to grasp and chew.  

- MantisGirl13
Funnily enough a few weeks ago in my backyard a wild mantis ran onto my hand holding an ant. Sat there for a moment considering me and the ant, then ran off leaving the confused ant behind lol. 

Watching discovery channel I have seen where ants can carry a body away to a nest and eat it, also have seen on crime shows where they thought that (unrelated but interesting all the same)  maggots can remove clothing on a dead body ( I guess by enough pushing on the skin) to make it look like someone was sexually abused but was actually not.

Watching discovery channel I have seen where ants can carry a body away to a nest and eat it, also have seen on crime shows where they thought that (unrelated but interesting all the same)  maggots can remove clothing on a dead body ( I guess by enough pushing on the skin) to make it look like someone was sexually abused but was actually not).
Which makes u wonder how many have been accussed of that crime when they didn't do it before science caught up with it.

I fed a horn worm to a mantid and the mantid died a couple days later.  The hornworm was eating mulberry and I think its own feces. 

I just lost 2 mantids to black death.  They ate crickets that were infected with the virus I guess. 

Can mantids eat crickets feeding on potato?

Latest posts