Insects that can be imported into CA, USA without a permit.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoooa hold the bus, I just read here "Mantids are illegal to move from State to state without permits"

Im moving to Colorado in 3 weeks, If I get pulled over for something do you think they'd really ask for my permits for my bugs??

I guess I should be safe, so where would I get them?

I only have Stagmomantis's, maybe an I. Oratoria, Californicas and a few limbata's.

ooo ya think the Californica's are illegal to take to Colorado?

oh man, Im gonna have to hide my babies for this trip, B) lol.

Hmm, that manual says stagomantis instead of stagmomantis. Others and I have been using stagmomantis all over this forum. Which is it really supposed to be?
Probably just a typo, calm down lol. It is stagmomantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my kids is a badge wearing, gun totin' Federal Enforcement Officer (ICE) and we have often discussed the difference between Federal law and the agents' ability to enforce that law. Since officers are thinly spread, they tend to enforce those laws that the government currently deems important and and only cursorily enforce those that it doesn't. The situation at the California border is a case in point. If you entered CA during the 'seventies, on I 8 or I 10, you would have been stopped by the CA state aggie people, asked if you were bringing live plants of critters into the state and then, unless you raised some kind of red flag, allowed to proceed without inspection, otherwise the roads would have been backed up across AZ. Now, those nice, sheltered checkpoints, (try handling a dog when it's 115F outside!) have been largely taken over by the BP feds, because catching EIs is considered much more important and newsworthy than catching Mexican fruit flies (much like the American ones, but with little sombreros).

In your case, Butterfly, since you were going into Colorado (I 15?) you shouldn't have been stopped at all (would you let us know what actually happened?).

Nor is it true that federal law automatically overrules state law in any given state. The rule of thumb is that which ever set of laws is the more restrictive applies. In CA, for example, Californian law on what constitutes a carcinogen is much stricter than that applied by the feds, and it prevails in CA. In the case of marijuana use, on the other hand, federal law is more restrictive than that which generally obtains in CA. The Federal narcs are generally too busy to go after individual pot smokers, but they have the legal right to do so.

Finally, some of us may not be aware that interested feds monitor sites like this, and they can subpoena all of the information that they want about you!

Obey the law! God bless America!

"Finally, some of us may not be aware that interested feds monitor sites like this, and they can subpoena all of the information that they want about you!

Obey the law! God bless America!"

wow, that sure makes me feel safe, lol.

I just think they don't want people releasing exotic mantises all over the U.S. <_<

I just think they don't want people releasing exotic mantises all over the U.S.

I've got some Indian Flower Mantises and I live in CA...haven't had any trouble with permits or whatever. <_<
That doesn't mean it isn't illegal.

Its best to stay below the radar and keep quiet on what you have and what not unless your being charged with something as the saying goes loose lips sinks ships!

I appreciate Ryan's information but his post is not an official statement from a law enforcement officer and does not even begin to cover all legal jurisdictions (e.g. different federal divisions and/or state laws, as mentioned). Do not confuse his post as an official confirmation of legality.

I never really trust what I read that much it can still be illegal even if someone says one thing alot of times it means something else!

But exactly why is it considered (by some) illegal to keep exotic mantids in the U.S., if you are not going to release them?

Also, it's funny how most of you guys are saying that it is illegal to keep exotic mantids in the U.S. when you guys own exotics and live in the U.S., too. :p

But exactly why is it considered (by some) illegal to keep exotic mantids in the U.S., if you are not going to release them?

Also, it's funny how most of you guys are saying that it is illegal to keep exotic mantids in the U.S. when you guys own exotics and live in the U.S., too. :p
If you were a government agency that wanted to avoid exotic mantids being released so that they wouldn't become invasive like so many other plants and animals have in the US, what would you do:

Ban their being kept by everyone except licensed professionals who must take special precautions like having a double door ("airlock") to the outside?

Let anyone keep them so long as they seemed reasonable folks who would not release them either intentionally or accidentally?

Now for what you find funny Some laws are passed in the knowledge that they will only be acted on in egregious cases.It is obvious that exotic mantids can become invasive or, more benignly, adventitious in the US; the Chinese and European mantids are cases in point. But most exotic mantids, if they were released, would stand no chance of becoming established in our nearctic environment when they are used to a tropical climate, so there is littkle need for a government department to use its limited manpower serching for exotic mantids. But, if an exotic mantis was discovered and some entrepeneur introduced it on a grand scale for US gardeners without bothering with such things as impact studies, the USDA could immediately take apropriate steps without waiting for congress to pass a special law banning the species. There are other issues as well, such as that of introducing new parasites in WC nymphs and ooths, but what i've said already should get you started in on thinking of reasons of your own.

The funny thing is, even in a freak accident, where say a bunch of exotic mantids excaped into the wild, most of the US has a winter temp drop that would eliminate the excaped mantids.

The funny thing is, even in a freak accident, where say a bunch of exotic mantids excaped into the wild, most of the US has a winter temp drop that would eliminate the excaped mantids.
I agree with you that any exotic mantis escaping now anywhere in the US except for the southern states (and probably even there)would die of cold or starvation. Successful introductions have all taken place, however, during the summer so that the offspring can overwinter as ooths. Remember that two of our "imports", the Chinese and narrow wing mantids are both tropical species.

chinese are subtropical while narrow wings are tropical and have adapted to live in subtropical conditions.

Did you mean that the Chinese Mantids in America came from a subtropical area?

Latest posts