Instar designations--L or i?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FeistyMcGrudle

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I can't find a solid answer (I tried searching, but there is so much information on this site to dig through) as to why there seems to be a variance between using i or L to designate the mantises instar. I get the i for instar, but where does L come in? I've basically been using a capital i (looks like an i, but could also be an L--tricky tricky!) so people wont think I'm dumb because I don't know if one is more correct than the other. I know its not a huge deal and anyone who knows about mantises knows that either describes its age, but it's something that has been bugging me.

Did you (Hysteresis) mean Latin species names? I agree they are better than common names but there can be several common names depending on location.

What is that quote? "The biggest communication problem between US and England is lack of a common language." LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I'm aware the L1, L2 etc designations actually come from the german word Larven. 

The whole point of scientific names is that there is a single internationally recognised name. They use latin as it is essentially a dead language, not spoken by any population in the world, this means it is not subject to slang or derivation. 

The problem with common names is that if someone says I have a dead leaf mantis what species is it? One of the Deroplatys, Phyllocrania, Acanthops or one of a huge number of possible species. Deroplatys dessicata on the other hand is definitive.

I agree with the idea. I am also an aquarium person. I have some aquatic species that have renamed several times so it is still confusing.

Latest posts