intelligence and live hobbies??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so there are a variety of hobbies (things people do to pass free time) out there

many don't involve caring for live organisms. people build stuff, paint, collect items, play various games, etc. 

all of these things require some knowledge of what is going on, but i am under the impression that hobbies that involve rearing/breeding any living thing require a greater degree of background knowledge, conceptualization ability, and technical know-how

have any studies been done to see if people doing live organism studies have higher intelligence than people not doing these things? i'm not calling anyone stupid, i'm just wondering if there's a threshold intelligence for this type of stuff

My gut tells me to end her. 😫
I probably would have a while ago because thats the type of family I come from- my dads saying he teases me with: If its brown, lay it down. Meaning If its a deer or any brown animal, shoot it (for real not with a camera). But he doesnt do it anymore- now that we're plant based- he used to be an avid hunter tho.

It's her last chance @Prayingmantisqueen and I know I'm holding out too long. Shes been so strong and hasn't skipped a meal. If she can wiggle out maybe she can finally climb and hunt like she should. Shoot, my guy already more than made up for the shipping mishap with this last order. But she seems like she could make out okay. I dunno. 

I dont know if there has been any studies done. 

Its wee bit hard to measure intelligence though. I used to be called stupid in school by teachers because I couldnt do the school work, which turned me off school. When I was a kid I would leave people baffled with how much I knew about animals. I dont think theres an animal I dont know thats in books or been on tv. I have a nearly ocd nature when it comes to anything im interested in.  Il study everything I can about the subject.. running dogs are my main passion but all animals I have a interest in. then I learn through mistake and note successes. Iv bred dogs for work and I breed ferrets for hunting. I know how to breed for the traits I require in my workers, I know the potential amount of wastage Im going to get in the litter before I breed, also I can work with my hands and do a variety of jobs. Recently found out I have dyscalcula though. I can pick up a language but I cant do maths other than the basics. Also iv know people with degrees who cant wire a plug or work a microwave.

View attachment 9394View attachment 10043

Gotta say this i was terrible at the beginning had some mantis's mis molt well not alot but a few, but slowly I started to teach myself how to care for them. I learned on me own with hardly any groups or other people or books. Kinda went by my instincts and vibe with my mantis's. So i think it depends. I think its not all about smarts but the bond you share with them.

I had 1 mantis 2x molt on me, because she choose a wrong place to hang. It gave a good feeling to save her.

hunter_molt2.jpg