Interbreeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i said "It seems impossible for that to have never happened."

Meaning that it had to have happened at some point in time.

breeding species in the same sub gender species works I did remember once I bred a nebulosa with a gemmatus but none of the nymphs lived though!

I want to try with Sphodromantis, but will keep all the nymphs to myself, no way would i give them to anyone though, don't want to mess with the gene pool.

My topic post was purely hypothetical. You're saying in nature there has never been one species of mantis that has successfully bred with another?
You know this topic in my experience is always meant to stir up the pot some way or another but I will firther dive into it. I never said there has never been a natural hybridization of two species, nor am I claiming there hasnt been an outcrossed population but few seem to understand the points I make.

Natural hybridiations and outcrossed populations do occur, and believe it or not it can be as simple as a person releasing something they have or caught in a place it doesnt belong.......It can also occur due to natural disasters, dams breaking, deforestation or even man just simply leveling land that was acting as a natural barrier between to species or populations. Even a predator dropping live prey in a new area it happens and we all know this, but you can also toss in the act of evolution as a factor in this discussion.

Another factor, in many cases a hybridization will leave offspring sterile or with a natural defect, this is mother natures way of controlling these situations, Even in a sub population of a species you can get genetic material that has established itself just enough to not be successfully compatible in order to make the next generation. But when it does happen on its on, evolution takes over and a new population or species comes of it.

Just because it happens on its on doesnt mean we need to help it or play around with the bugs in our collection. If there arent enough colors, shapes and sizes in the mantid world already that you have to create something perhalps this hobby isnt meant for you anyways. What is needed is a proper managment of whats here, you never know when the gene pool gets cut to what we have, species become endangered, fads change and species here that were once around dissapear and theres the fact one day getting new stuff in may become much more difficult if laws were inforced. Keep what you have managed, and look at these exotic species as a blood line you may not get back or get to replace. Its that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts