Interesting shakes

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwright

Reaction score
I have never seen this behavior before, in documentaries nor my own observations. Grandpa Jack is 14 weeks old into adulthood. Yesterday he hungrily snatched a fly from my tongs and today I was demonstrating offering him water on a brush. Then he started this shaking? It doesn't seem defensive, but then again he is my first mantis and I've never seen this before. Any ideas? His little palps are  waving because I had just moved the brush from his face. He was surprisingly thirsty.

View attachment video-1543445295.mp4

Interesting! It is like he is shivering! Is there a breeze or wind near him?

- MantisGirl13

That's cool. Maybe it's like when you eat ice cream and you get cold and shiver... and the cool water makes him shiver..? Idk!!

I have seen mine shivering like that too, like if they are waking up when i grab their cups for feeding time or misting.

Maybe it's a happy wiggle. His palps immediately stick out and search when he sees the brush coming close. He gets excited it seems.

It seems like a prey response or excitement to me. Carl, our sub-adult h. majuscula does this almost daily when we approach his enclosure. He is near his heat pad and no air movement, so I am sure it is triggered by visual stimulus with Carl, not being cold or reacting to wind. Might be to circulate their hemolymph after a period of rest?

Latest posts