Iris O. ooths??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've never really hatched an ooth on my own but I as wonder if its basically the same maintanence for all ooths. I have 2 adult females and 1 subadult male right now and am going to be breeding them as soin as he can but i was thinking about keeping a few ooths to try and hatch on my own.

My first mantis was a Iris oratoria and all of her ooths hatched just fine without me having to do anything. There's a pinned thread above that may be helpful if you haven't looked at it already. :)

Yes, ooth care is basically the smae for most species. If you do have Iris oratoria keep in mind, they can take a very long time to hatch. Not to mention, they can take a long time hatching! :) Good luck with your breeding. :)

@train yeah i saw it but seeing as these are the only mantises i will be keeping i might as well learn all the details

and hmm, like i might have mentioned, i have always bred mantids but i have never hatched any so im interested to try this year and maybe start producing a healthy little colony :)

But in general, it seems like a long and tedious practice and i was wondering if it is worth hatching a bunch of little things that will only live a few months. Idk, i have always loved my mantises and been interested in hatching them but never could find a food source!

Well, in the first months of spring I go and collect aphids from infested plants. It's free and helpful :) But when those run out, I, and may others, buy fruit flies. Plenty of places to buy from.

Latest posts