Iris oratoria hatched OUTSIDE in early December

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I live in AZ but these poor nymphs all died outside. I was able to catch a total of 6 and 2 died already.  Temps are only 50 degrees in day here and 30's at night now.  I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get these  little guys UV light and heat.  Heating the house dehydrated and killed one.  Then we kept heat down and the other died because I believe she was too cold to molt. they are in small plastic containers which keeps them fed now, but I cannot get them enough heat or light. Should I put them in a large cage with UV light? Then I'm afraid they will starve. 

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!

merry Christmas!!

I doubt they dehydrated, Iris oratoria are adapted to warm and dry environments. Get a halogen spot so temperatures during the day are somewhere between 77-95 degrees and mist lightly in the evening. Mantids don't need UV either.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they’re dying of dehydration, misting would probably be best, just a little. You could also put the containers they live in inside the large terrarium with th UV light, but remember to mist. But you should wait for some of the more expert keepers to come along. I’m not an expert, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
give them lots of space

i wouldnt offer food for 2 or 3 days if they just hatched but give them a spritz of water in the morning

they should have hot days and cooler nights