Is a small Reptibreeze (16X16X20) to big?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally95

Reaction score
I have a small sized Reptibreeze, ( it's an all screen mesh enclosure). I have 3 Idolomantis diabloica in 3 different 32oz deli cups in it right now. I have a heat lamp on the mesh and I can monitor and control temps. I was thinking about when they get bigger, right now they are L4 (I think) just letting them out and they can have the bigger enclosure. Now I'm wondering if this is a good idea? Is it going to be to big? I wanted it to be big so all 3 will have there own space so to speak. But - will they still be able to find food, and will they burn themselves if they hang right under the lamps, I'm assuming if the area was to hot they would stay away but am I assuming to much? I can always tong feed them but I know they like flying insects and like to hunt (not just tong feed). also, with reaching 5 inches or so but wondering if it's gonna just be to big. I wouldn't think it could be to big as I've always thought the more space the better but now I'm getting nervous about it. I've done a ton of research and googled the heck of this and I know keeping them together is a controversial topic but wanted to know what you guys thought? I do have other cage options such as, I have 2 and I can buy another nano exo terra  (8X8X12) with the glass front and house them individually but I was thinking airflow and ventilation  would be better in an all screen and since I already have the reptibreeze screen cage I could just use that. I could also get the size smaller reptibreeze (10X10X12) But didn't know if 12 inches tall is to short for a full grown Diabolia. Sorry to throw so much at you but hoping for some advice??

As long as you keep plenty of feeders in there with them, they should have no problem catching prey. I've done so without issues. 

I don't use heat lamps, so I don't know if their natural instincts would prompt them to move to a cooler area. Not all animals have the "common sense" to do so. Hopefully someone with experience using heat lamps will come along to help. 

In my opinion, the strict "3 times taller than the length of the mantis" rule is more flexible once a mantis has reached adulthood since they no longer need the space to molt. I wouldn't worry too much about height, although I wouldn't suggest anything less than 10"-12". With a few exceptions, mantids are ambush predators anyway.

When it comes to communal species, just like humans, it doesn't always work out and there's a small chance you could lose a specimen. You just have to decide if you're willing to take that chance. 

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along to help. ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @Synapze, but I have one thing to add. Idolos have delicate feet, so many people don't like to use metal mesh cages for them because their feet can get stuck in the mesh. 

- MantisGirl13 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @Synapze, but I have one thing to add. Idolos have delicate feet, so many people don't like to use mesh cages for them because their feet can get stuck in the mesh. 

- MantisGirl13 
Interesting, so I thought I was supposed to use mesh since they can't climb glass, No? But I guess that's why all the video's I've seen use mesh or glass but attach sticks to the inside and top of the cage walls so the Idolos use the sticks instead of the mesh. Right? OK, that's makes since.