Is air dry clay and acrylic paint safe for a decoration?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelda

Reaction score
I can't find the sort of decorations for my enclosure that I want online, so I was wondering if I could just make my own. I have air dry clay. I was thinking about either combining acrylic paint into the clay or painting it on top. Is this dangerous for the mantis? What if I put a satin glaze over it to seal it all in? 

That probably wouldn’t work. Mantis like stuff they can easily grip onto. Try any fake silk plant.

Either of those ideas should work for decorations.  Air dry clay will need to be sealed really well for use in an enclosure.   Mantises will be able to climb it if it has any roughness at all.  I'm planning to make an obelisk for my desert viv that way.  

I agree with Connor that it wouldn't be an ideal molting perch, they need something they can really secure their claws into.  

Some air dry clays dissolve in contact with water or release noxious fumes and chemicals. I would avoid using them.

Acrylic paint should be fine to use.

Latest posts