is it bad...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The praying-mantis in general thrives almost everywhere. If we Humans didn't exist at all they would thrive even better. They don't need us to take care of them. Our existence is only a fraction of the millions of years that this insect species endured. It even might have seen the dinosaurs die out.

We just for sheer curiosity like to keep them in close spaces just to watch their behavior or just for the fun in it.It's true that some particular species of praying-mantis are close to extinction but no species in this world lasts forever. For the time being all species thrive. Some individual species will die and will most likely be replaced by new ones. Nature is a self recycling system.
Nobody is questioning anything you have mentioned Domanating. The OP was just making a very light-hearted remark about feeding Mantids in the wild or as in my case mantids you released in your garden. If you released your mantid on a bush in front of your home and saw him/her a few days later, would it be considered a bad thing to feed them a bug? That's all. Not, is it bad to feed Mantids in the wild because they will then not learn to hunt and as a result of this die. The humor is being "attached" to a bug and going out of your way to give them a snack.

Tough crowd.....

From the late comic mind of Henny Youngman

"I take my wife everywhere, but she keeps finding her way back."

"I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places."

"I've got all the money I'll ever need, if I die by four o'clock."

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is questioning anything you have mentioned Domanating. The OP was just making a very light-hearted remark about feeding Mantids in the wild or as in my case mantids you released in your garden. If you released your mantid on a bush in front of your home and saw him/her a few days later, would it be considered a bad thing to feed them a bug? That's all. Not, is it bad to feed Mantids in the wild because they will then not learn to hunt and as a result of this die. The humor is being "attached" to a bug and going out of your way to give them a snack.

Tough crowd.....

"I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places."

exactly!!

All I meant to say that my general location,when mantis hunting you find dead ones,and I don't think they'll be as much activity as usual,I'm not a biologist,although I wanted to be a wolf biologist at one time,but I had gotten 2 degrees already,and I had children to feed.I grew up 2 miles on a farm from the area I'm talking about,it's common sense,it's a tinder box out there,and all animals are suffering.I don't think I'm going to incubate any chinese this winter,if any one wants 1 or two ooths I'll gladly give them to you for the price of shipping,I just don't feel like putting up 100 to 120 cups this winter.If anybody wants one just let me know,I want to be a asset to this community

Yes chinese they winter well,I usually grab one in Jan.to incubate.The only time I seen some fail in winter was that December we got all that snow right before xmax that sat around till almost april.When the snow receded I seen about 2 dozen ooths that were wet like sponges,they never hatcted and I kept an eye on them.Then again I've seen them incube during 2 months of cold rainy weather,so who knows.Incidently has any body ever have a male chinese molt to adult in the middle of july,first time I've seen it,it's been a wierd year even the fawns were almost as big as their mothers first week of may,If anyone wants nymps I suppose I could incubate an ooth and send them out,pay shipping,try to help the hobby no money for them

Yes chinese they winter well,I usually grab one in Jan.to incubate.The only time I seen some fail in winter was that December we got all that snow right before xmax that sat around till almost april.When the snow receded I seen about 2 dozen ooths that were wet like sponges,they never hatcted and I kept an eye on them.Then again I've seen them incube during 2 months of cold rainy weather,so who knows.Incidently has any body ever have a male chinese molt to adult in the middle of july,first time I've seen it,it's been a wierd year even the fawns were almost as big as their mothers first week of may,If anyone wants nymps I suppose I could incubate an ooth and send them out,pay shipping,try to help the hobby no money for them
So they can die in cold weather. I know Tenodera sinensis live in Southern China but I could not find them listed living far away from that area. That area does not get cold. Maybe Tenodera sinensis are not very adapted to overwintering but they do it. Yes they are adults now.

Tough crowd.....

The problem is that the question so trivial that it's pointless to ask. If you can feed mantids while keeping them, why not feeding them outside or even wild mantids? The answer to the topic question is Yes!! What could possibly be the reason not to feed freed mantids? I can't find a reason not to. The answer itself is just too logical that bothers me.

So they can die in cold weather. I know Tenodera sinensis live in Southern China but I could not find them listed living far away from that area. That area does not get cold. Maybe Tenodera sinensis are not very adapted to overwintering but they do it. Yes they are adults now.
Uh oh, I thought I saw a map of their range but I cannot find it in the place so that might not be right.

I don't breed my chinese any more usually I turn them loose when I think it is breeding time,I've never collected an ooth to sell,but the wild collected ones seem to do better FOR ME,So I would expect they would do better for any body.A new friend of mine that is a seller I'm sending some to her as she treats me rather quite well.I'm buying enough nymps so I'm active during the winter.Hatching a chineses ooth is a big responsibility.But I collect mine from the wild to incubate.Like I said,I'm not a biologist if it don't rain soon we are expecting storm coming in,us humans want it too

The problem is that the question so trivial that it's pointless to ask. If you can feed mantids while keeping them, why not feeding them outside or even wild mantids? The answer to the topic question is Yes!! What could possibly be the reason not to feed freed mantids? I can't find a reason not to. The answer itself is just too logical that bothers me.
You do not mean too logical, you mean so simple that you would not have to think much about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unicorn,I'd like to stay in contact because of being in the Carolinas,here I've never seen adult hood so early.Do you have a drought too?I know your growing season is longer,when do they hatch.I think if more of us compared notes we could all benefit,and that's what it is all about.I would be very intersted in doing this,something to think about

i thought it was a good question, cause some things, when fed too much by humans lose the ability or thought to hunt for wild insects on their own.

For example a group of eels where i am staying sit at the surface in the evening waiting for people to feed them. And for a while there was a sign saying "No Feeding Eels!"

After that was up for about a month the eels would come back, and were steadily getting skinny, until one died so they took the sign away because the eels didn't seem to be able to eat and hunt.

Unicorn,I'd like to stay in contact because of being in the Carolinas,here I've never seen adult hood so early.Do you have a drought too?I know your growing season is longer,when do they hatch.I think if more of us compared notes we could all benefit,and that's what it is all about.I would be very intersted in doing this,something to think about
Who is Unicorn???

Latest posts