Is it.. gonna die?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsdelliott

Reaction score
Hello all,

I found a jumping spider in my bathroom and decided to make a simple enclosure for it. Upon inspection i found it only has 5 legs :(

i read that they do regenerate lost limbs and will sometimes even sacrifice some to get out of situations.

Ive had it about a week and have been successful feeding it fruit flies a couple times but now it is uninterested in its prey.

Is it going through a pre-molt or could there be other reasons?

20181006_013820.jpg

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but it looks quite plump, so I don’t think you need to worry much about it not eating. I once had an S. vitis go two weeks without food, and she survived just fine.

You should note it’s behavior, though. Is it still active and curious? If it’s lethargic then it might be nearing the end of its lifespan, at which point there isn’t much you can do. 

I would suggest waiting two or three days before trying to feed again. They certainly don’t need to eat everyday, just feed it whenever the abdomen looks flat.

Yeah encloser is one of those small Tupperware containers and getting a nice pic is beyond my skills. That is good to know, glad it could be a normal thing. Its about 1/6 of an inch in length and this species grows to about half an inch so it should have a few more molts in it. 

Used to roam around a lot but it sticks to its hide more than anything.

Still has 5 legs, and not dead! I think this little guy is gonna be here for a while. Still can't wait for it to molt so i can see its progress. I'm taking care of this little guy to prepare me for nymph care when i hatch an ooth

20181018_165550.jpg

Still has 5 legs, and not dead! I think this little guy is gonna be here for a while. Still can't wait for it to molt so i can see its progress. I'm taking care of this little guy to prepare me for nymph care when i hatch an ooth

View attachment 11625
Good idea. I personally cannot stand the thought of spiders, but mantids, oh yeah ? 

But did it ever molt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea. I personally cannot stand the thought of spiders, but mantids, oh yeah ? 

But did it ever molt?
Not yet!

I understand how you feel, im learning to become spider tolerant gradually. I dont think i will ever keep a tarantula, the thought of it bolting out of the cage and having to catch it creeps me out. And they can give you a nasty bite, and they kick hairs at you, and they can live for 30 years?!?! Thats like a parrot.

However jumping spiders are just like mantis. They eat fruit flies, dont bite, safe to handle, simple small encloser with a little misting, and lifespan is about a year!

I don't think I would care for a tarantula either. Big spiders are creepy. but I like to see them. I watch vids of ppl who take care of them, sounds easy, but if they need rehousing because they are getting too big... brr. And they bite. But they are beautiful to see.

Wondering of missing legs heal during their molts like with mantids.?With grasshoppers they don't grow back.

I don't think I would care for a tarantula either. Big spiders are creepy. but I like to see them. I watch vids of ppl who take care of them, sounds easy, but if they need rehousing because they are getting too big... brr. And they bite. But they are beautiful to see.

Wondering of missing legs heal during their molts like with mantids.?With grasshoppers they don't grow back.
According to what i read they regenerate after molts. But three missing legs seems like a lot. I think it is going to molt soon so we will see!

Now that I’m looking at the images again, you might have a Habronattus sp. It looks to be about the right size and pattern for an adult male, too. Texas has several of those, but I believe the most common is H. pyrrithrix. I’ve had several of those myself this last year, and one male still going strong. If you can catch a glimpse of his face, this is what my adult male looks like (red faces and green ‘arms’ are the dead giveaways for these guys):

5-F20-A9-D6-E02-F-40-B6-A462-BF3-D58-B4-D767.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts